What Has Become My Annual Thank You Post

apwelb

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
I still remember the first time I hit this forum.

I had purchased a short sale, and when I opened the pool in the Spring I had a huge mess on my hands. Never having owned a pool, let alone a large in ground pool before, I did what most of us do. I went to the pool store.

The biggest memory I have of that debacle was heading to our local recycle center because I had so many empty bottles of pool store chemicals (don't even want to think about the cost per bottle) that I couldn't dispose of them conscientiously any other way, and they sure as halibut weren't gonna fit in my recycle container. I literally filled up half a pallet box. I couldn't believe it. I still shake my head when I think about all the money I wasted.

When I started using BBB, many people told me I was crazy. Thankfully, I was that guy in undergrad who actually enjoyed Organic Chemistry so I knew the methodology was sound. It almost got derailed when my wife told me after talking to other pool owners "Nobody else does this, we need to call a pool service." I was out of town at the time and had left her to commandeer. I held my ground, we slayed the dark green beast, and haven't looked back.

BTW, two of the BBB naysayers still use ridiculous methodology and their pools are always cloudy and repeat the same algae cycles over and over again :hammer:.

This year, I opened a little dirtier than I thought I would, but we had a brutal winter here in MN and I have a mesh cover. The good news is I knew exactly what to do.

Folks, I was clear in 3 days and only used 3 bottles of 12% shock. For real. I'll repeat that. Clear in 3 days and only used 3 bottles of shock.

The other thing I want to comment on is running your pump. I was told by the pool store to run it 24/7 all season. This didn't make much sense, so I did more research on this forum. I now run my pump about 6-8 hours a day at the most. I could probably get away with less but I have a peak load monitor on the pump so my KW rate is so low, I don't care.

This stuff works and this forum is the best source a person can have. It can be hard to stay the course when things are really screwed up, but once you get this figured out it is so easy to maintain. Now, my teenagers help with the chemistry.

So, Thank You TFP! :cheers::lovetfp:

Also, a quick shout out to TF Test Kits. I stored my kit indoors and everything worked like it should this Spring. It was great to open up and have all my chemistry figured out in like 10 minutes. Their customer service is awesome, shipping lightning fast, and just great people.

Thanks, again.

Yes, I have people look down their noses at me too when they see me use bleach. But my pool is sparkling, so I must be doing something right!

Pretty much the same if you say you need to make a run to the grocery store and pick up a few boxes of baking soda for the pool :confused:
Now I just make sure I keep a big bag 12lbs ?? from Walmart on hand. They don't stock it so I order when I run low.

I tried to tell a very worried customer in the pool supply aisle at the hardware store today that she needs to log on here, to get the straight goods about maintaining her new-to-her pool (just bought a house). I told her I put none of THAT stuff in my pool and it's crystal clear!!! (Well, it will be, in a few days...just opened it). She looked at me like I was nuts!!!! Even my 8 year old was smiling in that knowing way!! Even she knows we don't fill our pool with THAT stuff. Lol.

I did the same to a lady at Menards when I was picking up some 12.5% chlorine and she was looking at the bags of shock. She started the conversation and I ended up getting her email so I could send her a link to come here. She cleaned up her pool faster than me !!

I'm new to pool owning and this method.. I also have been told I'm nuts for using bleach! I was actually told my pool is going to smell "bleachy" and it's going to irritate my skin! What I can't understand is how there is a mental block keeping people from understanding that chlorine is chlorine is chlorine! BTW, my pool is crystal clear, with only a couple minutes of attention a day!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I would like to chime in as well. Took over my in laws pool last year, as they are getting older, and was tired of looking at a dirty, dingy pool. Found this site, and as they say, the rest is history. First order of business was to order the TF100 and read, read, read pool school.

I am also lucky enough to have access to 12.5 % bleach that I purchase in 55 gallon drums, and store at my place of work in an air conditioned building. It loses some strength over time, but the lowest it has ever tested was 8 % after 2 and a half months.

What was once an eye sore, now takes minutes a day to test and dose. Daily CL and pH, weekly TA, and " monthly" CYA testing....Opening this year was a breeze. Took cover off second weekend in May to crystal clear water and tested quickly. Found FC was at 3 after dosing it to shock level when closing it in late September. Deep cleaned sand filter and got that running, adjusted pH, and we were swimming the next day....FOLKS IT IS THAT SIMPLE. Just this past weekend all of our family was there swimming and BBQing, and I often heard this comment. " I have never in my life seen a more crystal clear pool". Music to my ears....

One thing I made up to put in the TF100 kit is a set of parameters for just my pool....It has the CYA/ FC chart, dosing instructions.... Example " add 13 oz. Bleach to increase FC by 1"
" add 11 oz muriatic acid to decrease pH by .1 "

Anything that you may need to help....Filter pressure clean psi, and dirty" when to backwash" psi....anything that you may need.... I then put in microsoft word, or whatever software you want, and print it out. I took it to our local printing/shipping store and had it laminated....The best thing is when I am testing pH, I turn the sheet around...think blank white sheet.... And use that as my background to help me take the guess work out of my pH reading....Hope that can help a few of you from running in to plug numbers into your computer to dose your pools....I know, Im kinda a dork with the whole laminating thing!?

Just so impressed with this site....the help that you get is awesome, the motivation from members that keep you going when you just want that SLAM to end...etc..... Not to mention the awesome service for reagents from TF Testkits....If i am running low on something, its 2 days and its at my door....awesome service.....

Thanks again everyone.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.