Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where should TA level be?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bakersfield, California

Where should TA level be?

I have a newly replastered pool about 6 weeks old (dark grey colorscapes).
    These are my current readings. (20,000 gal pool)
    FC =3
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 80
    CYA = 60
    CH = 360
    I am using the BBB method after startup pool guy completed his 1 month service (required from plaster co. for warranty).
    I am constantly having to add muriatic acid on a daily basis to lower PH within range but TA tends to drop to 70.

Should i be more concern with TA being it stays on the lower end of acceptable range?

Should i add baking soda to bring TA to middle of acceptable range (100)?

What is best way to add baking soda to pool?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Where should TA level be?

I'm not overly familiar with plaster myself but reading through this Start Up New Pool Plaster may have the answers you seek.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Where should TA level be?

You are just fine where you are. We recommend TA be between 70 and 90 for a plaster pool with no SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School