Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Piles of leaves - was that my problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Piles of leaves - was that my problem

So I've been fighting to clear my pool for 3 weeks. I made progress to the point where I was starting to see the bottom of the shallow end. I remembered that I had not really scooped out leaves in the deep end all that much so I decided to do that this morning.

OMG. I probably have pulled 15-20 pool nets full of leaves out. All scoops were full with algae. Could this be why my pool was not clearing? I'm slamming it now and it is losing 3ppm of chlorine. I'm shocking at 20. Hourly it is dropping to 17. When should I expect an improvement?
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Piles of leaves - was that my problem

I expect it was at least a big part of the problem. If you can stay at it with hourly dosing and brush it a couple of times today you should see improvement in chlorine consumption later today and visible improvement tomorrow.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm willing to bet there's STILL another 15-20 scoops you could physically remove if you can't see bottom. Clearing all major debris you can possibly get out is always Step 1. What are your full test results including cya?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I'm willing to bet there's STILL another 15-20 scoops you could physically remove if you can't see bottom. Clearing all major debris you can possibly get out is always Step 1. What are your full test results including cya?

I'm going to test in an hour. My CYA was at 50 yesterday. PH was at 7.4 this morning. I'll redo everything and post results at around 1145.
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

FC 20
    CYA 50
    PH 7.4
    TA 90

Pressure was 18psi an hour ago it is now up to 20psi.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Every time I test and adjust I'm pulling out leaves. It seems like I'm pulling out less. I'm still getting about 5 good scoops each time. I think they settle between when I'm testing. I feel like an idiot. I've wasted 3 weeks because of mounds of leaves in the deep end of my pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

That makes two this season! May I use this thread as an example to show what happens when you skip steps in the SLAM article?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

We want to take you from feeling like an idiot to feeling good about taking control of your own pool with a solid knowledge base. I assure you that you're not the only one that has been in that boat before. Keep at it!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That makes two this season! May I use this thread as an example to show what happens when you skip steps in the SLAM article?
    Lol yes. This forum has been a tremendous help since I switched to the BBB method. If my stupity helps others I'm all for it.

sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3 on PPC.

10. Back To Top    #10

Actually, it would be better if you cruise the forums looking for "My pool is a swamp" threads and tell them how to clear it -- warning them of the pitfalls along the way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!