DE in dolphin cleaner

Aug 28, 2011
I use a combination of pool cleaners, a dolphin robotic on the weekends and a pentair for the busy week days and during fall to collect the massive amount of leaves that drop. We are located in central Texas and while we dont swim all year the pool is never closed.

This year I have noticed that when I clean the dolphin bag after it has run for the day it has more DE in the bag than in previous years. I am also having to clean debris from the filter on the pentair line almost weekly. I have performed the needed spring filter cleaning and have already backwashed twice this year.

It almost appears that the DE filters on my Pentair Quad DE 60 have worn out. Do DE filters have a service life that I am not aware of? They are not torn and while I am not an obsessive home owner they have been cleaned on what most would consider a reasonable basis.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

The filter issue and frequent backwashing is usually a chemistry issue rather than a filtration problem. Can you post test results? What does your water look like?

I cannot answer why the robot picks up more DE than it used to.

If the debris is getting to the inline filter on the Pentair, that leads me to believe that debris is getting past the filter.

I would pull the filter apart, clean and inspect the grids for holes.

Why are you backwashing? pressure rise? reduced flow?
As duraleigh said you should check your water chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.