Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar heater bypass ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar heater bypass ?

If you happen to have this system what position ( or number ) do you put the handle in for heating ? Instructions are awful !!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar heater bypass ?

First, you will get very very little heat out of something that small. Heat gain is a function of the surface area of the collector. Standard panels start around 40 square feet and typically several panels are used at once. That collector is quite small and really won't do much.

There is no one sure to work setting for the diverter valve. If you have a pressure gauge on your filter, adjust the diverter so the pressure goes up 1 psi over it's pressure when none of the water is flowing through the panel. Depending on the size of your pump, you might actually be able to run all of the water through without it going up that much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The heaters were a gift . I do have a set of the 2x20 longer black ones ( few leaks ) I have a 1 hp Hayward pump . In setting I have it in now I see no difference in temp from return . Change setting blow hose off ! Before I hard plumb want to see if these 2 little heaters are even worth it !

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't expect any noticeable temperature difference. As I said, they are so small you won't get much heat out of them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason,
    Thanks for the info . I guess I'll pull out the old ones and hook them up . They seemed to work pretty well . Plug holes as needed !
    On a good note the pump is on a timer now . Pool is crystal clear and balance . 85 here today ( Maine ) think I'll just kick back and enjoy the pool for the day ! Going from a standard 24 foot above ground to this intex has been an experience !

6. Back To Top    #6

You do not have a rope going around the bottom portion of the legs to keep them from spreading?

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine did not come with the rope . Says it's an option . I've had 5 kids turned loose in it a few time no foot movement at all . The legs wiggle a little is all ( but thats at the top )