Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Optimum Return Jet Angle

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Question Optimum Return Jet Angle

I always angle the returns to sweep the surface junk to the skimmers.
    My pool leak guy said don't break the surface with the returns.
    He claims I will use much more CL if I do this?

What do you think?
    TF-100 Test Kit. 25 year old plaster in ground, 16,600 gallons pool & spa, sand filter, the worlds oldest Jet Vac pool cleaner. Pool is surrounded and covered be large live oak trees.

2. Back To Top    #2

North OKC Area

Re: Optimum Return Jet Angle

I would keep it to where it didn't create bubbles to avoid unnecessary PH rise. I cannot say whether or not it adversely effects chlorine.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Point it for best circulation....not chlorine would be a real stretch to attribute chlorine loss to that.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Cincinnati, OH

I have my two returns set up for counter clockwise rotation one pushing into the second then around to the skimmer (only because clockwise would run the route into my ladder prior to the skimmer). Both ripple the surface vigorously, but are set so as not to create bubbles. No out of the ordinary Cl loss here - 1.5 to 2ppm @day w/CYA 30.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I like the returns angled slightly up so I can tell just by glancing out the window if the pool is circulating from the ripple. It also makes a good target when adding acid and bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!