Finished my first test, need advise on next course of action.

gundan

Jun 6, 2014
Central NJ
Hello All,

I just finished my first test a few minutes ago and here are the results. I ran the FAS-DPD Chlorine test twice, using both the 0.2 & 0.5 ppm method and both times it registered 0.

FC = 0
CC = 0
TC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 50
CH = 160
CYA = 10

I opened my pool about a week ago and we dumped in 3 pouches of the powdered shock + some 6 month old 12.5% liquid chlorine(I am sure it probably was about 2% right now ;-). Further I dropped 5 tablets in the inline chlorinator and 2 tablets in the floating duck thingy. I ran the pump non stop for the first 3 days and then about 7 hours every day. I only started reading this site and all its reading material on thursday, so please be a bit gentle on me :).

I punched my desired settings in the pool calculator as follows, are my desired settings correct?

FC = 4
pH = 7.5
TA = 70
CH = 200
CYA = 40

The pool is clear. I am a bit confused as to what my next step is or is it a mix of stuff? I understand I need to bring up my FC level up and keep it at 1 ppm steady. In my case as it is 0, what should I try to bring it up? Further I was reading here that the best time to put chlorine is at dusk, so should I wait or just do it right now and/or do it again later this evening to absolutely make sure my FC #s go up?

Do I add all the stuff the recommendations say in 1 shot? Or do I spread it over the day? Other than FC & pH, should I wait a week before I measure all of them again?

Thanks All!
Gundan

Gunnite 24700 Gallon + Spa , serviced by a 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter.

Hello Smykowski,

Do I have to purchase cyanuric acid and do the sock treatment or can I use my existing tablets to bring my CYA levels up? Further, I have purchased this big tub of tablets + a big box of powdered shock from Costco, can I just return those things as I am now going to use the 12.5 % liquid chlorine?

I am assuming I need to keep running the pump all the time when I am doing these additions?

Thanks for response!

Thanks,
Gundan

The tablets will add CYA, but they also are very acidic and will lower the pH and TA, and you're already great there.

Your CH is good too, so if the powder is Cal-hypo, it will start climbing. If it's dichlor, it's the same problem as the pucks.

If you can return things, that would be ideal. It's easier to adjust things if each chemical only affects one parameter.

Pump running while adding chemicals. How to add each is here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

I understand I need to bring up my FC level up and keep it at 1 ppm steady. In my case as it is 0, what should I try to bring it up?
My first suggestion would be to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll help you understand why you are doing these additions and adjustments. Right now, your post is showing a lack knowledge of the basics to manage your own pool. Sorry to be harsh but the purpose of the forum is to teach you how....not to tell you how.

Hello Dave,

I see your point. I did read all the stuff in Pool School, it is just that there is a pretty decent bit of information and in my over enthusiasm I have been asking a bunch of questions in these forums. I will re-read and come back here.

Cheers,
Gundan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.