New to TFP and looking forward to good times!

Hello, I'm new to TFP and I'd just like to add my thanks to you all for a great and much needed website. I bought my first home 10 years ago and yes, it came with a pool. I can only say that I wish I had come across this website 10 years ago. Anyways, on to the fun!

Today I tried the TF-100 test kit for the first time ever after uncovering the pool.
CYA 20-30 (pool store said 35)
CH 400-450 (pool store said 390)
TA 90
pH 7.8
Cl 3
FC 3
CC .5
TC 3.5

I suspect I may have to add a bit of conditioner and address the calcium issue. I did notice parts of the waterline tiles were broken and laying at the pool bottom. The water is very clear, no weird odor and a slight yellowing on the bottom deep end. Thanks again...

Welcome to TFP. Your calcium isn't outrageously high but it's getting up there. I would be very careful not to use any Cal Hypo powdered shocks and stick to unscented bleach. With any rain additions, splash out and recharging the DE filter, you should be able to manage it and get it down a bit without doing a drain/refill.

You do however need to bring down your pH. Get your CYA up and start dosing the pool according to Chlorine CYA Chart. How does your water look?

Congrats on the test kit and a big thanks for reading the forum and filling out your location and pool specs! :goodjob:

Good idea with watering the grass! lol... I'll get started with the CYA and pH and the water does look nice and clear. Unfortunately I have lots of pine trees, shrubs, etc around the pool. I can see xeriscape landscaping in my future!

Also, after I get the water balanced. Would I use this thread or create a different thread to address the equipment pad (filter, pump, plumbing, etc.)?
Happy to be here and thanks for the help.

Hello again all,

I've managed to balance my pool water after constantly adjusting for high ph with muriatic acid over a couple weeks. I noticed since I opened the pool a few weeks back that the deep end has yellow staining on the bottom edges. So, yesterday (Sunday night) I add several bottles of bleach to bring the FC up to the proper shock level based on the CYA. Today I add more bleach to take the shock level back up to what it was yesterday. I'm wondering, do I maintain this level until the stains have gone? I've been brushing the area and the pool water looks fantastic with hardly any leafs, dirt etc. I'll post the pool numbers and give some info regarding the FC level.

These were the readings right before I raised to shock level;
CH 300
CYA 80
TA 90
PH 7.4
FC 1
CC .5
TC 1.5

FC test results after adding bleach (shocking):

34 10pm Sunday night
33 8am Monday morning
17.5 2pm (2.583 per hour loss)
12.3 4pm (then added 7 bottles of 8.25/121 oz bleach)
33.5 8pm (calculated loss of FC 1.234)

Rate of FC loss from 8am to 4pm seems to be 2.583 per hour. It's been like 100 degrees here. If the yellow stains don't start coming out, guess I try the vitamin C tablets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.