Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for a new robot

1. Back To Top    #1

Time for a new robot

Well, my 7 year old Dolphin Diagnostic might be done for. The impeller motor is shot and I am having a hard time finding a replacement part, but apparently that is a problem with the Dolphin lines, they are not user serviceable for the most part. So I am looking at replacing it with a Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820 because it looks like a similar type of robot, and I already found sites selling parts so that gives me a little piece of mind. I am looking forward to a cartridge style filter vs. the bag and having a swivel cord so it won't tangle up all the time.

Any feedback on that Prowler 820? Alternatives I should look into?
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time for a new robot

Don't know, but I love my Dolphin M5. If it lasts 7 years and crashes and burns, I will feel like I got a true bargain. I love having the carts in mine with all our dust. It is an amazing machine. The cord swivel...not so great, so don't get your hopes up too much on that whatever you go with.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-new-cleaner In this thread below, it sounds like the prowler 820 is a dolphin pool cleaner. I just had my dolphin diagnostic die this year also, after 10 full seasons. My power switch keeps turning off. I ended up going with an dolphin M4.
    25,000 gallon Inground vinyl liner , Sand filter. Southern PA USA

4. Back To Top    #4

If the prowler truly is a dolphin, then I would be thrilled. The 7 years with my dolphin were great, never even had to replace the, worked out to about $80 a season, money well spent. I just figured a different bot that I could actually fix would make more sense economically and the prowler looks like it fits the bill. Sorry to hear about the cord swivel not really working that well, does it just not swivel freely enough?
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I still have no clue where or what to got for a robitic. From dolphin to aquabot.
    Russell,

IG 11K gemstone freeform w/ waterfalls, Jandy 2HP ePump, CL460 Cartridge Filter, 400K Legacy Heater, Nicheless LEDs, AquaPure SWG, Aqualink, Dolphin Z5, TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I've only had my dolphin z5 over the weekend. But so far I'm thrilled. It has exceeded expectations.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

7. Back To Top    #7

How long before the big review?
    22k,IG Vinyl,Hayward Dual Speed Pump,Hayward Cartridge filter C3030,SWG 9 Cell Pro-Logic, 4 Relay System,Dolphin Supreme M4

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
    I still have no clue where or what to got for a robitic. From dolphin to aquabot.
    If you go with the Z5, or one of the Dolphin Supreme models like the M4 or M5, you won't be disappointed. I am curious how other brands compare, but this one has been so good, I seriously doubt I will ever try another.

Quote Originally Posted by J20832 View Post
    If the prowler truly is a dolphin, then I would be thrilled. The 7 years with my dolphin were great, never even had to replace the, worked out to about $80 a season, money well spent. I just figured a different bot that I could actually fix would make more sense economically and the prowler looks like it fits the bill. Sorry to hear about the cord swivel not really working that well, does it just not swivel freely enough?
    No it doesn't as advertised. Even though the cord doesn't tangle severely, or hinder the operation in my 36' pool, it's just a little disappointing to see. A little annoying, but that's all. I get it though, its' a little difficult to make an under water swivel electrical contact.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Funny, I had my dolphin diagnostic die this year. I had mine for 10 years. I consider that a very successful product and has for sure convinced me to buy something from Maytronics again. I did replace the brushes twice, the tracks twice and the guide wheels once. It has really done a great job over the years.

I am looking at a Dolphin Nautilus now. Reviews are very good and the price is right. I am looking forward to less tangles in the cord and no filter bag. Those were my only 2 minor complaints with my Diagnostic.

Both hydropool.com and sunplay.com sell the Nautilus for $599 and free shipping. I know people on this site have reported good dealings with both of those companies.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    I've only had my dolphin z5 over the weekend. But so far I'm thrilled. It has exceeded expectations.
    How is it doing on your main drains?
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

11. Back To Top    #11

[QUOTE=Brushpup;666153]If you go with the Z5, or one of the Dolphin Supreme models like the M4 or M5, you won't be disappointed. I am curious how other brands compare, but this one has been so good, I seriously doubt I will ever try another.

Does Dolphin advantage plus pro rc on epic belong to Supreme models? Thanks