Help with Hot Tub chemicals

dozer11

Jun 2, 2014
Thompson, ND
I just ordered my Taylor kit last week and used it tonight. I cleaned and refilled my 350 gallon hot tub, added sanitizing granules (4 tsp) and tested it 10 hours later.

These are the results

FC: 11
TA: 140
PH: 8

Since the FC level is so high, does that effect the TA and PH, causing them to be high? What's the best way to get these numbers down? I have some PH - on hand.

Any help is appreciated! I am getting so frustrated with trying to manage these chemicals :(

I actually believe above 10 is where the PH readings start becoming inaccurate.
While I have seen many folks quote the 10 limit (including ChemGeek who I trust with his information), this is posted on the Pool School Definitions and Abbreviations Page (bold/red mine) under "pH Potential of Hydrogen"

A measure of how acidic or basic (alkaline) a solution is. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, anything above 7 is basic and anything below is acidic. Pools are usually kept at a pH from 7.2 to 7.8. pH in pools is tested with the indicator phenol red. High sanitizer levels above about 5 ppm can interfere with this test and lead you to believe that your pH is very high when it is actually not! The better test kits will allow for this by adding a chlorine neutralizer to the indicator and calibrating their color comparator blocks to compensate for the added chlorine neutralizer so you can get accurate pH readings when your sanitizer levels are at 10-15 ppm.

Maybe this page needs to be changed from 10 - 15 to just 10? If so I may need to adjust my testing methods as I need to keep my FC above 10 due to my high CYA.

Technically if you measure the pH quickly then the absolute FC limit is not that relevant since it is the active chlorine level that oxidizes the pH reagent to give it a false color. So when CYA is in the water, the pH will probably measure correctly at first and then drift up to the false purple color. We don't confuse things in the Pool School with this kind of info because "it depends". It's just simpler to give the rule as stated. 10 ppm FC is not a hard and fast number. It really depends on the CYA level so depends if you are at normal levels or shock levels, for example.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.