first hot tub

ronipooh

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 6, 2013
Kissimmee, Florida
OK so I got a barely used 2005 Marquis Destiny spa. It has an ozonator and uses spa frog bromine and mineral cartridges. Can I switch to chlorine? Since I don't mind the smell of chlorine I personally don't think bromine smells less it's just different.
Question 2
How do I clean the plumbing since it has been drained and sat for a period and I don't know when the last time that was done is I definitely want to start fresh. Can I just shock the heck out of it or do I have to buy one of those chemical packages advertised for biofilm and plumbing?

Ozonators typically wear out and stop producing ozone after 3-4 years. There are single use (break the glass tube) type ozone testers, but they cost about $15, and replacement Del brand Ozonators sell for only about $100 or so, some of which have their own built in life monitors.

Once its connected to power, still in the wiring process, I'll know because it says it glows green if it's functioning. I haven't decided if I want to fix it if it isn't. I've read on here that they consume your chlorine and I have decided I'm switching from the spa frog cartridges to chlorine because of the cost.

Whether an ozonator is useful or not in a chlorinated residential hot tub really depends on your usage. If you use the spa every day or two, then it's worth it because the ozone will handle some of the bather waste letting you use less chlorine. However, if you don't use the tub regularly and only use it on weekends, for example, then the ozone reacting with the chlorine increases chlorine demand in between soaks requiring you to add chlorine a lot more frequently, likely every day or two. With no ozonator, you could add chlorine just once in between your soaks on the weekend or possibly not at all if you add enough and don't have the water be as hot during the week.

Whether an ozonator is useful or not in a chlorinated residential hot tub really depends on your usage.

We use it quite often but not EVERY day. We may use it every day for a few days and then not for a few days or we may use it today and not tomorrow. It just depends on how sore our bodies are. Since we use it more than just weekends I guess one would say we use it regularly. It's on our covered Lanai and it has an insulated cover on it so it stays pretty warm even with the heat turned down.

The Ozonator is NOT functioning because it is not glowing green when the spa control panel says it is on. Since the spa only requires a few ounces of chlorine per day either way it's not that costly. 16-24 ounces a week.

OK. With the ozonator not functioning you should be able to just dose higher with chlorine after the soaks when you plan to not use the spa for a few days. Not a big deal. With an ozonator, it would be more difficult -- still doable, but you certainly couldn't go a week with an ozonator only dosing once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.