Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: first hot tub

1. Back To Top    #1

first hot tub

OK so I got a barely used 2005 Marquis Destiny spa. It has an ozonator and uses spa frog bromine and mineral cartridges. Can I switch to chlorine? Since I don't mind the smell of chlorine I personally don't think bromine smells less it's just different.
    Question 2
    How do I clean the plumbing since it has been drained and sat for a period and I don't know when the last time that was done is I definitely want to start fresh. Can I just shock the heck out of it or do I have to buy one of those chemical packages advertised for biofilm and plumbing?
    13,700 gal, outdoor IG Plaster, (deteriorating)Sta rite Posi Flo II ptm 70 Cartridge, Paramount PCC 2000 in floor pop up sweeper, RedLeopard Orbit automatic pool cleaner, FLOLight return eyeballs, 1 HP Pentair Superflo single speed pump, built in 1992
    370 Gal 2005 stand alone Marquis Destiny spa w/Ozonator, chlorinated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first hot tub

You should be able to fill it and get the filter running. Get some chlorine in it, using Pool Math for the dosage. Let it cycle for 30 minutes and test. The chlorine will do all of the hard work.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

How old is the ozonator?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    How old is the ozonator?
    I have no idea. The spa is a 2005 model as mentioned above and it either was well taken care of or not used much.
    13,700 gal, outdoor IG Plaster, (deteriorating)Sta rite Posi Flo II ptm 70 Cartridge, Paramount PCC 2000 in floor pop up sweeper, RedLeopard Orbit automatic pool cleaner, FLOLight return eyeballs, 1 HP Pentair Superflo single speed pump, built in 1992

5. Back To Top    #5

Ozonators typically wear out and stop producing ozone after 3-4 years. There are single use (break the glass tube) type ozone testers, but they cost about $15, and replacement Del brand Ozonators sell for only about $100 or so, some of which have their own built in life monitors.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

6. Back To Top    #6

Once its connected to power, still in the wiring process, I'll know because it says it glows green if it's functioning. I haven't decided if I want to fix it if it isn't. I've read on here that they consume your chlorine and I have decided I'm switching from the spa frog cartridges to chlorine because of the cost.

7. Back To Top    #7

Overall I feel that ozonators are worth it on hot tubs, I have one along with a drop in SWG (Saltron Mini) on my Hot Tub

8. Back To Top    #8

Whether an ozonator is useful or not in a chlorinated residential hot tub really depends on your usage. If you use the spa every day or two, then it's worth it because the ozone will handle some of the bather waste letting you use less chlorine. However, if you don't use the tub regularly and only use it on weekends, for example, then the ozone reacting with the chlorine increases chlorine demand in between soaks requiring you to add chlorine a lot more frequently, likely every day or two. With no ozonator, you could add chlorine just once in between your soaks on the weekend or possibly not at all if you add enough and don't have the water be as hot during the week.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

[QUOTE=chem geek;668096]Whether an ozonator is useful or not in a chlorinated residential hot tub really depends on your usage.

We use it quite often but not EVERY day. We may use it every day for a few days and then not for a few days or we may use it today and not tomorrow. It just depends on how sore our bodies are. Since we use it more than just weekends I guess one would say we use it regularly. It's on our covered Lanai and it has an insulated cover on it so it stays pretty warm even with the heat turned down.

The Ozonator is NOT functioning because it is not glowing green when the spa control panel says it is on. Since the spa only requires a few ounces of chlorine per day either way it's not that costly. 16-24 ounces a week.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK. With the ozonator not functioning you should be able to just dose higher with chlorine after the soaks when you plan to not use the spa for a few days. Not a big deal. With an ozonator, it would be more difficult -- still doable, but you certainly couldn't go a week with an ozonator only dosing once.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"