Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Kemtek

1. Back To Top    #1

Kemtek

All, this Kemtek chlorinating liquid any good for pools. Does it contain conditioner like PUCS.....Dont want to raise my CYA above the current 35. its 10% sodium hypochlorite and 90 other. Cant find no where what the other is. Thanks for the help in advance.
    142OO Gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    AG
    1 1/2 HP Pump
    Charleston SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Kemtek

The other is water and lye. All bleach has that. Rest assured that if there were any conditioners, scents, thickeners, or whatever else, they'd ballyhoo it all over the packaging. Look hard at the box. If it looks weathered, it may be last year's leftovers. Somewhere on here their is a thread on decoding date codes on bleach, if you're up for a hunt.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The other is water and lye. All bleach has that. Rest assured that if there were any conditioners, scents, thickeners, or whatever else, they'd ballyhoo it all over the packaging. Look hard at the box. If it looks weathered, it may be last year's leftovers. Somewhere on here their is a thread on decoding date codes on bleach, if you're up for a hunt.

For sure not last year stuff. Guess I will use a few gallons of it and keep an eye on my readings. Thanks for the qick reply! This is the best site for pool info! Thanks again
    142OO Gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    AG
    1 1/2 HP Pump
    Charleston SC

4. Back To Top    #4

I have used it and it worked just fine. Lowe's and HD both sell it here in NorCal. The only problem is they usually put it outside in the garden center....so depending on exposure to sun/temps, the strength could be in question after a while. I happened to take a box from a freshly delivered, still stretch-wrapped pallet. The pallet went fast. It was pretty much gone after one week.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

In my area, the date codes on KT Chlorinating Liquid are two digit year and three digit Julian day. Just like bleach bottles. They look surprisingly similar.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

6. Back To Top    #6
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

Quote Originally Posted by kmgambino11 View Post
    All, this Kemtek chlorinating liquid any good for pools. Does it contain conditioner like PUCS.....Dont want to raise my CYA above the current 35. its 10% sodium hypochlorite and 90 other. Cant find no where what the other is. Thanks for the help in advance.
    I just bought this at Lowe's tonight. This is the first time I'm adding anything to my pool, just let the pool guy go, and I'm using the PoolMath as a guide. Unfortunately I don't see a bleach % on the box or carton. Do you still use this product? Anyone know roughly what the bleach % is for this?

Thanks
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

7. Back To Top    #7

If its Kemtek bleach it's 10%. It says 10% on the front and back of the carton and on the front of each jug under active ingredents. It works. It's all I use in my pool.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    If its Kemtek bleach it's 10%. It says 10% on the front and back of the carton and on the front of each jug under active ingredents. It works. It's all I use in my pool.
    Thanks gwegan! I didn't see it on the product but I did find the MSDS online and say that it says 10% there.
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

'70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!