Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Borax

Absolute noob! Our dig is scheduled in a couple of weeks. I have listed as many specifics as I can (with my limited knowledge) in my signature. If I need to add please let me know. My question involves the first start up of the pool. I read in a post where it says let the pool co handle this as there are warranty issues for the pebble sheen. So at what time should I add Borax. The idea of softer water and algae deterrent sound great as well as helping buffer ph swings. How could you loose? Is there anything I should talk to the guy who does the initial start up about or should I just let him do his thing and change later?

Thanks!
    Houston Texas area, 19,400 Gal., IG, Gunite, Pebble sheen pool with 1,273 gal. spa. Pentair equip.: Intelliflow variable speed pump (pool), Whisper flow 2.5 HP (6 scuppers), DE filter 60 Sq feet plus, Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 robotic cleaner, Ultra pure ozonator 25k gal., Stenner pump with 15 gal tank (s1g45mfh7a2s) , 1.5 HP Silencer Blower, EZ touch controller system with Screen logic system. Installed 08/2014.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Borax

Welcome to TFP!

You should not add borates during the first month after fresh plaster is applied.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks
    Houston Texas area, 19,400 Gal., IG, Gunite, Pebble sheen pool with 1,273 gal. spa. Pentair equip.: Intelliflow variable speed pump (pool), Whisper flow 2.5 HP (6 scuppers), DE filter 60 Sq feet plus, Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 robotic cleaner, Ultra pure ozonator 25k gal., Stenner pump with 15 gal tank (s1g45mfh7a2s) , 1.5 HP Silencer Blower, EZ touch controller system with Screen logic system. Installed 08/2014.

4. Back To Top    #4

So just follow the pool builders instructions for the first month?

5. Back To Top    #5

Take a look at the how to startup new plaster section in the How To section of Pool School. Then talk to your builder about what they are taking care of and what is your responsibility. And feel free to ask us more questions!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School