Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Big Scare With New Pump

1. Back To Top    #1
    Midland TX

Big Scare With New Pump

I have been fighting some stubborn algae stains on the floor of my AG pool. I have been slammin my pool with the brand new pump running continuously for 8 days now. Well late last night I turned the pump off to disconnect my pool cleaner and reconnect the skimmer.
    When I tried to turn the pump back on it would just hum but not turn. I tried several times but it would not turn. I got on here this morning and started reading every thread I could find. I watched some youtube videos about capacitors. Finally I just disconnected the power and tried to just see if the motor would turn, to make sure it wasn't seized up. Luckily it would turn. I read somewhere that one guy had turned his pump on then given it a little push with a screwdriver and it would start.
    Well I just tried the switch again and it started working!!! How could that be? did moving the motor just a quarter turn or so make a difference in it starting?
    7200 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 3 Grandaughters swimming every week.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Big Scare With New Pump

The trouble starting may have something to do with the start switch or the start capacitor. If either is marginal, there are specific positions that are more difficult to start from.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School