Swg and pump run time

May 12, 2014
Pasco, WA
I've figured out that in order to keep my FC where I want it, I have to run my pump for twelve hours with the swg set to 100%.

Turns out my swg is rated for 18,000 gallons and my pool is just over that.

My main question is....is it better to run it for twelve hours straight, or on and off throughout the day for twelve hours total?

My second question...is this a bad situation? Do I need a more powerful swg? Any advice or suggestions on the situation?

Thanks

That certainly isn't an ideal situation. It is worth double checking your levels to make sure you don't have some adjustment you can make that will improve things a little. If you post a full set of water test results we can have an opinion.

Running the pump in several blocks spread around the clock is better than all in one block.

There are two problems with leaving things as they are. First, as the summer get hotter you are likely going to need to increase your pump run time even further to keep up with the chlorine demand. And second, you are spending extra money on electricity to run the pump that wouldn't be needed with a larger SWG. Neither of those is a big enough problem to make upgrading the SWG a clear choice, but they do argue in that direction.

Would it be better for the swg/pump to run it less and supplement with bleach?
I think that is a very good alternative and would save you some money. You'll have to figure out the exact calculation but you could run maybe 6 hours daily and then a bleach addition every other day (more or less) to stay within the guidelines. That would be a nice compromise and a good way to manage your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.