Hayward Super Pump VS died

Apr 23, 2009
Hello.

I purchased and installed a Super Pump VS (variable speed) last year to replace a 15 year old single speed 1.5 HP Super Pump. 15 days out of warrantee, the pump stopped working. (I am in New York so the pump spent 8 months of that protected in my garage. The unit has 220v power coming into the unit but there are no indicator lights/display on the control box. Looks to me like there was an internal low voltage power supply failure that happened after a storm (lighting???). Looking at the Hayward parts site, the only part I can find is the motor complete with the control/drive box ticking in at +$500 for the unit. Spent 3 hours on hold with Hayward and still couldn't talk to a human.

#1: Anyone had any experience troubleshooting the electronics/drive on this unit?

#2: With a SWG, a ground level solar heater and a solar cover, I found that I ended up running it most of the time at the high speed to maximize the solar heater during the daylight hours. Didn't seem like I was getting much $$$ savings with the Variable speed since I was running at high all the time. With that combo, what would have made the most sense on operation.

#3: Considering just going back to a single speed SuperPump by just replacing the VS motor with the 1.5hp single speed motor and impeller. Considering that I threw away a few hundred bucks on the VS unit, this seemed like the cut my loses solution.

Advice welcome.

27000 gallon Salt Vinyl lining inground pool.

Welcome to TFP!

That model hasn't been available very long. I would expect your pump to still be under warranty.

Hayward does not support any repairs to the drive unit, they expect you to replace the whole electronics box.

You should have been able to run well below the maximum speed with that setup, though I can see your setup limiting you to faster than half speed.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try and get ahold of Hayward again on Monday but being on hold for 3 hours and still no person on Friday was a bit frustrating.

If you are the creator of the Pool Calculator that I use on my iPhone, you are god.......I can't begin to express how useful that app is.

For future reference, any and all VS pumps should have lightning surge protection in areas where there is frequent lightning. This has become a reoccurring problem for both Hayward and Pentair VS pumps and an insider has told me they are getting a lot of complaints about it.

Depending on how diagnosis and cost to repair the VS would be, if you do toss in the towel you might want to consider a two speed. Simpler and still cheaper to operate, if it comes to replacing the motor again.

In my limited experience hayward is generous with the warranty. I have no experience with a variable pump for a pool but in my opinion with variable motors and drives, they are expensive and more prone to fail. stick with the tried and true regular ac motor. I purchased a green two speed 3 years ago and run it 95% of the time in low speed. the load speed eats 1.5a compared to high of 8a. the payback on a 2 speed compared a variable is huge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.