Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Caulk Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Caulk Question

Hey guys,

We have caulking around our pool and have a very small spot that needs a touch up. The caulker who did the original caulking used Dow Corning silicone caulk but I can't get a hold of him to ask which of these two it was. Does anyone have any idea which would be the correct caulk for a pool? I am thinking the 795 but maybe the 790?

Here are the two:

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?r=264en

or

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?r=200en

Did some more reading and now I"m think the 790 is the right one:

Dow Corning 790 Building Sealant is one-part, neutral-cure silicone sealant. Dow Corning 790 Building Sealant is Silicone Building Sealant offers outstanding unprimed adhesion to masonry and is particularly effective for sealing expansion and control joints, precast concrete panel joints, Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS) joints, curtainwall joints, mullion joints, stone pavers, and many other construction joints. When used in accordance with Dow Corning application and testing recommendations, the sealant forms a durable, flexible, watertight bond with many common building materials, including combinations of stone, concrete, masonry, granite, marble, aluminum, painted substrates, and glass. Color: Natural Stone Contents of Cartridge : 10.3 fl oz (305 ml)
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Caulk Question

A good friend of mine advised that acrylic caulk is a good way to go with joints around/in a pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

DOW 790 is the correct product.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    A good friend of mine advised that acrylic caulk is a good way to go with joints around/in a pool.
    Thanks for the reply, Brushpup. I thought you were only supposed to use silicone caulk with a pool, but I don't really know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot View Post
    DOW 790 is the correct product.
    Thanks, Qwaxalot (like your user name 790 it is!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)