Filter issue

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
So I went to open my inground pool this season and apparently forgot to turn a valve leading in the explosion of the pipe assembly outlet.
I have a clean and clear Plus Pentair CCP320 cart filter.
So I called around and it looks like I am looking at 140$ just to replace this one part.
I have wanted to change filters in the past as the cartridge filter is so much work for me, this seems like maybe the time to do it. I have read the info about sand vs de etc. No restrictions to de here so its not an issue.
I am not sure what is the easiest transition for me. The current filter is a side mount, not sure if there are any easy sand side mounts worth buying etc. Any help would be appreciated in this.
Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I need to add do I have to stay with a Pentair product? I got these as a package with the pool and noone in this area has Pentair only Hayward products.

I have a sand filter. Hayward and love it. The pump does not have to be the same brand at all. DE is a good one too, but I feel sand is easier and have had it for 8 years now and no issues at all. I just prefer simple and easy as we get about 4-5 months a year for swimming and do not wish to put in lots of money to run it when I want. I usually start it up the beginning of May and run it till October to close it down and the filter has been great. My sig has a photobucket on it if you wish to take a look for some ideas.

Hope that helps.

Whatever kind of filter you get, get the largest size you have room for and can afford. Larger filters go longer between cleaning/backwashing, which greatly cuts down on the effort of maintaining them.

There is a comparison between the various kinds of filters in Pool School that lists all the pros and cons of each kind.

I don't understand why your cartridge filter is giving you problems. When I had a solid winter cover, the cartridges were only cleaned at the end of the season during closing. You can't get much easier than that. But that being said, my vote would be for you to go with a sand filter. I maintained my dad's pool for years and the sand filter was just so easy, turn a valve, backwash till sightglass is clear, rinse, then you're back to up and running. When his pool guy "upgraded" him to a DE filter I hated it, not because it didn't work well or keep the pool clean, because it did, but it was just more work. And when I was a teenager I didn't see the value in spending more time on pool care than absolutely necessary.

Tom

I have wanted to change filters in the past as the cartridge filter is so much work for me
What work do you hope to save by switching to a different type filter? Before advising you to switch, we should all have a better understanding of your goal(s).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.