After SLAMing, no chlorine?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
My water is clear but for other SWG related reasons I SLAMed my pool this morning.

The pool calculator said to add 1555 oz of bleach which is 12 and half bottles. I added that much a few hours ago and the FC at the time was 3. I just checked it (a few hours after the bleach
Nears added) and it is registering zero.

When I do the test, I add the powder and the water momentarily pink, but a few seconds later it turns clear*

What's going on?

* just as I typed that! I remembered the blurb on the test kit about the water staying clear and having CCs

My new question is, if I want to do an OCLT tonight will I be able to? Will there be any FC by then?

A SLAM is a continuing process, not a one time addition of chlorine. If you used that much so quickly;y you have something in the water (probably ammonia).

You are not ready for an OCLT until you have clear water and CC of less than 0.5

You need to buy more bleach and complete a proper SLAM.

Could you post a full set of test results?

SLAM isn't a one time dose, but maintaining CL at slam level for your CYA until all three criteria are passed.

No CC
Pass OCLT
Clear water

Your situation (if truly 0cl) after that addition could indicate the presence of ammonia which will take A LOT of chlorine to treat.

Sorry, I should have added more info.

Last week I had cloudy water and no CC. I have been treating the pool since then and have used something like 24 bottles before this morning. Durning that time, I had my SWG at 75 which is much higher than I normally run it. When I did a test last night my CC was 4. I was surprised it wasn't higher because last year I was getting good CC with the SWG set to 40.

This morning I tested again and the FC was 3.

Given all of that, am still on the very first step of a SLAM?

In another thread I was asking about the health of my SWG and was told that the unit may be fine but just not able to keep up and I should SLAM again, run the pump all night (which I didn't do last night), and do another OCLT.

I also added well water for a few hours this morning.

The water is very clear now and it was that way last night.

So, back to my question above, am I still just starting the SLAM process or am I couple of steps into it?

Thanks!

We need a full set of test results, including CYA.

Again, a SLAM is a process. You need to get your FC up to the SLAM level (which is based on your CYA level) and keep it there. Many have to test and add chlorine every 30 - 60 minutes to keep it at the SLAM level. As ammonia is suspected, it takes a large amount of chlorine to knock it down.

As to your SWG, you may as well turn it off during the SLAM. It will never keep up.

Last week I had cloudy water and no CC. I have been treating the pool since then and have used something like 24 bottles before this morning. Durning that time, I had my SWG at 75 which is much higher than I normally run it. When I did a test last night my CC was 4. I was surprised it wasn't higher because last year I was getting good CC with the SWG set to 40.

This morning I tested again and the FC was 3.

In all the places where you typed CC above did you mean FC ?

FC is the chlorine level you adjust -- CC is a temporary by-product from the FC reacting with stuff in your water. The SWG raises FC levels (although CC may go up as a by-product).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Things are getting strange!

I just did another test and per ping's advice above, I added 2 scoops of powder. My FC value was 32 and CC zero. I ran the test again (assuming the water would stay clear with one scoop) so I could test the CC with the proper amount of powder! but this time the sample stayed pink! So I ran the proper "one scoop" test and again the FC was 32 and the CC is zero

Other numbers:

pH 7.2
TC 100
CH 600
CYA 70
Temp 87

At a CYA of 70, your chlorine numbers are:
Minimum FC 5.0
Target FC 8.0
Shock FC 28.0

But, seeing that previous thoughts may have been because of mis-reading, you may be ready for OCLT. You are clear and CC=0, so keep the FC above 28 today and test for the OCLT after the sun sets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.