Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overrun with fleas! How to get rid of?

1. Back To Top    #1

Overrun with fleas! How to get rid of?

I've known that my yard has a flea problem, and I treated / sprayed the yard with permethrin with one of those spray bottle thingies where you attach a water hose to it. I did that last week.

It helped, except now the fleas are having a party in the pool. I guess they're trying to avoid the treated areas, so the pool was their only option. Now, how do I get rid of fleas in the pool? There are thousands, even MILLIONS of them in there! I'm not kidding.

I'm assuming it's a bad idea to spray permethrin in the pool?
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overrun with fleas! How to get rid of?

My first thought would be to raise the FC level in the pool, but I don't know how much overlap there is between "level required to kill bugs" and "level that is safe for swimming". I have noticed that (knock on wood) insects don't seem to live long in my tub these days now that I'm treating exclusively with chlorine.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

When I was in ag class I learned that fleas float because they trap air bubbles in the little hairs on their bodies. You can't drown a flea. UNLESS you break the surface tension of the water. I was taught that shampoo in water would break the surface tension and cause fleas to drown. I don't know what gets put in pools that has an effect on surface tension, but figuring that out should make them drown.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

My pool surface was covered with the flying ants last evening. I just turned the pump on to run overnight so they would all be in the skimmers in the morning.

Won't the pump move the fleas to their demise in a skimmer?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think chlorine kills the fleas, they've been in the pool for some time, just not in the numbers I saw this morning.

Running pump now, looks a lot better now. Hope the filter picks them up.

If I see them again in large numbers when the pump is not running, I'll post back here.
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

You might want to do this when you're skimming fleas: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...on-Illustrated
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!