Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free Chlorine,Level too high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Free Chlorine,Level too high?

Okay,tested pH and free chlorine level. pH level was 7.6 and my Free Chlorine was 9.5
    Is my FC too high?
    What is an acceptable level for FC?
    AGP
    16' x 32' x 54" Chesapeake
    Hayward S230T 23" Sand Filter System 1.5-HP 2-Speed Matrix Pump
    Raypak 206,000 btu ng Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Free Chlorine,Level too high?

Depends on your CYA level
    If anything more than 20ppm for the CYA, it is perfectly safe.

See the chart in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As of now, there doesn't seem to be a CYA reading. I have added dichlor the past 2 nights. My test for CYA this morning was barely cloudy.
    AGP

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you added dichlor then you have CYA, it might just take a few days to a couple weeks to show on the tests. You can treat it as if it's 20, so it is a little high (unless you are SLAMing) but it will drop. Anything below 10 you are fine to swim and you want to keep it above 2 FC.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Dose it up to 30 and ACT like it's already present.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the help. I have added the dichlor the past two nights. I will keep adding that and keep my eye on the chlorine level. I won't be adding borax tonight in order to drop my pH level down to 7.4
    AGP

7. Back To Top    #7

Post up exactly how much Dichlor you have used. In your pool, the CYA will add up quickly. Use PoolMath to keep track how much CYA you have added.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Counting the past two nights,it would be a total of 2 1/2 cups of dichlor.
    AGP

9. Back To Top    #9

Question Having a heck of a time with chemical levels

Merged by moderator. Please keep your questions together so your full story is in one thread. Thanks, jblizzle

Well, my chlorine has been up very high over the last several days.
    While my pool was filling I only added bleach until my test kit K-2006 and Kem trichlor arrived.
    Then I switched to just using the trichlor in the evenings, using 1 cup of the granules.
    My chlorine levels have been up to 15 mm, with very little CYA (less than 30).

Today I checked my levels again,
    FC = 11.5
    pH = 7.2
    CYA = less than 30

Any ideas or help would be great. I skipped adding the tricholr last night in hopes of getting my FC lower, but how can I raise my CYA without adding FC to my Intex 18' x 48" AG pool?
    We have a solar cover that we have been using, yesterday I pulled it most of the way off during the day so that the sunlight can reduce my chlorine.
    AGP

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Having a heck of a time with chemical levels

Slow down on the trichlor additions. Poolmath says each 8 oz adds 8 FC. Your other thread mentions dichlor -- what exactly are you adding?

Just add enough powder to bring up the FC to 5 or 6 target. Don't worry; the trichlor will rise fast enough that way. You won;t lose much FC if the pool stays covered, so you actually don't need a whole lot of CYA anyway.

The alternative would have been to buy CYA separately.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

You can get a container of just CYA and add enough to a sock to raise the CYA level to 30 ppm. Hang the sock of CYA in front of the return and squeeze it several times a day to help it disperse. Walmart usually sells containers of HtH brand CYA. It may say stabilizer or conditioner on the package. Just make sure the main ingredient is cyuranic acid and it does not contain copper or minerals.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry, it is Kem-tex dichlor. I was at 15 FC the other day, yet my CYA is still very low.
    AGP

13. Back To Top    #13

If you tell us exactly how much dichlor you have used, the with PoolMath you can calculate how much CYA it has added.

This is exactly the reason we are not recommending the use of dichlor for people new to pools and the chemistry any more. You have to try to keep track of 3 different effects at once and clearly you have added too much dichlor too fast if your FC is that high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mommark View Post
    Sorry, it is Kem-tex dichlor. I was at 15 FC the other day, yet my CYA is still very low.
    Just keep dosing the FC with it according to poolmath (you can select dichlor as a source) until you've added whatever amount of dichlor it takes to get CYA up. So what if it takes a month? If the pool is covered, you don't need a lot of sun protection. It will get there. If you're at 15, you won't need to add any today and maybe not any tomorrow. When it dips, add FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Where would I purchase CYA? And is there a particular brand for the sock method?
    AGP

16. Back To Top    #16

Walmart HTH.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

17. Back To Top    #17

After coming home from our camping trip, I checked the levels. I added 1cup of dichlor Thursday afternoon,just prior to leaving.
    FC was 18.0 ppm
    PH was 7.0
    CYA was less than 40
    Last night I added 1cup of borax to bring up the pH.

We want to swim,but with a FC that high I'm afraid to let my children in the pool.
    We have had a solar cover on the pool continuously,so I removed it this morning. I am contemplating buying sodium thiosulfate. Will this help?
    AGP

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by mommark View Post
    After coming home from our camping trip, I checked the levels. I added 1cup of dichlor Thursday afternoon,just prior to leaving.
    FC was 18.0 ppm
    PH was 7.0
    CYA was less than 40
    Last night I added 1cup of borax to bring up the pH.

We want to swim,but with a FC that high I'm afraid to let my children in the pool.
    We have had a solar cover on the pool continuously,so I removed it this morning. I am contemplating buying sodium thiosulfate. Will this help?
    The FC will drop below shock level within a couple hours in sunlight. By the time you go to the pool store to spend money and get back and add thiosulfite and wait, it will be safe anyway.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thank you, another question.
    When the pool solar cover is on,do the rays from the sun still lower the FC level? Our solar cover is 12 mil and is a light blue?
    AGP

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, but at a very, very reduced rate. This is one of the reasons I have the cover on the pool most of the time.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry