I need help: Pressure treated wood or pavers for legs supports?

Jul 3, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Hi everyone,
I'm going to keep asking questions in hopes that someone has done this before. We are putting up our new intex 12'x24'x52" pool next Friday. The area for it has been leveled. My question is about the pavers for under the side supports. Last time we did this we had the little 12' round intex and only leveled so doing supports under side supports is new. Plus having a rectangle with those different supports is new. We always put extruded styrofoam under the pool but I don't know how to measure "level" with this vs the pavers or pressured wood as I'm sure the foam gives. How to make that level?

I've been reading passed posts where some of you have used pavers and some have used pressure treated wood for the supporting base on the sides supports. Which is better? If we use pressure treated wood do we use one long piece for each side or cut to fit each support? I'm confused. We need to get this part of the process done this Weekend. I really want to get this done correctly and get it going. Our "backyard oasis" redo is a Father's Day gift for my husband so everything is on schedule. I'm really nervous about these supports. But I want to do this so hubby doesn't have to worry about it. I've got some people helping out so it can be a big surprise for husband. (He doesn't know about the new pool, he thinks we are putting up the little 12' round intex again) :) .

I need some help here.
Thank you.

I just put up a 14ft x 42in intex ultra frame pool last weekend..i started out using the pavers but because of tree roots I couldn't dig them down enough so I used 1/2in pressure treated plywood under each leg and sanded the edges so there are no points and its worked out perfectly..its only up for the summer so by time they warp or rot the season will be over.

Pressure treated wood is fine for a season or two, but won't last the life of the pool. If you setup and take down each season it doesn't really matter as you can check and replace as needed, but if you are going to leave the pool up for several years you want pavers.

The support, wood or paver, is only needed directly under each leg.

Thanks guys! That helps a lot! We will be taking it down each season. For the sizing of the supports, how big? Does it need to go from the edge of the pool bottom past the outer edge of the metal support? That would be a width of almost 2 feet as the footprint says from the edge of the floor vinyl to the edge of the metal support (1 foot 10 inches).

I did 4in x 11in and screwed the leg base to the plywood so when the legs moved or I need to adjust one the plywood moved with the legs...if your are taking it down I think plywood is the easiest because it was cheap to buy and I will just throw them out and do it all again next summer

Righto, just a quick note for you... No one ever seems to mention.... Your pool is going to weigh 31 tonnes... That's about 31 elephants.... Its a lot of weight... You are going to need something pretty thick to support that kind of weight....

People with your sized pool tend to go with the Trailer pavers... The 4 inch thick ones... I'm using 75mm thick treated pine railway sleepers.... My pool will weigh about 17 tonnes.... :) Hope this helps...

From what I understand the rectangular pools have a higher ground pressure on the supports than the round pools do. If I had a rectangular one, I would definitely go with 16 X 16 X 4 inch pavers.

Maybe duckcmmndr will chime in with some math after while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

9aza5ara.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

No.... The legs will be on a slight diagonal on your pool as its a rectangle... The round pools have straight up and down legs..... The exact measurements for the leg footprint of your pool are as above.... :- You'll have to convert them as they are metric....

But the outside footprint of your pool is 4.22m x 7.87m.....
So converted to feet and inches = 13.8451444 feet x 25.82021
Or 25 feet 9 1/2 inches x 3 feet 10 inches... :)

Hope this helps... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.