Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Detail on wiring Pump/Stenner to P1353 ME timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Detail on wiring Pump/Stenner to P1353 ME timer

Now that I've decide the general 'how' of it (http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-anybody-do-it), all that is left is confirmation of the wiring.

What say ye regarding the below...I *think* it's how it should be wired:

timer.jpg
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Detail on wiring Pump/Stenner to P1353 ME timer

Your wiring diagram is very reasonable. Note that it may not be practical/safe to fit four wires on one terminal. Depending on how things fit you may need to run a short wire to a wire nut with some of the wires that would otherwise go to that terminal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

... And keep in mind that all of the L2 are always hot.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Your wiring diagram is very reasonable. Note that it may not be practical/safe to fit four wires on one terminal. Depending on how things fit you may need to run a short wire to a wire nut with some of the wires that would otherwise go to that terminal.
    Good Point...wonder if there is room in box for a small terminal black? Likely not...

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    ... And keep in mind that all of the L2 are always hot.
    Is this an issue for any reason? From what I seem to recall w/ current T104 timer, both heater and pump have L2 wired to always hot terminal...but I could be wrong, happens often!
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Modern practice is to switch both legs of a 230 volt circuit whenever possible. Otherwise you will have voltage present inside the motor even when it is turned off. It won't use any electricity, it is more of a "accidentally get electrocuted when poking the motor with a screwdriver in ways you shouldn't even when it is actually off" kind of risk. Switching both legs is not required by code and is frequently not done.

The P1353 has the option to switch both legs of one circuit, and only a single leg of a second circuit. When used in that mode it loses it's ability to control three circuits, and is limited to two.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Modern practice is to switch both legs of a 230 volt circuit whenever possible. Otherwise you will have voltage present inside the motor even when it is turned off. It won't use any electricity, it is more of a "accidentally get electrocuted when poking the motor with a screwdriver in ways you shouldn't even when it is actually off" kind of risk. Switching both legs is not required by code and is frequently not done.

The P1353 has the option to switch both legs of one circuit, and only a single leg of a second circuit. When used in that mode it loses it's ability to control three circuits, and is limited to two.
    Looks like Mode 5 is that option; only limitation is Circuit 3 independent of 1/2 so, theoretically, if timer got messed the Stenner could turn on without the main pump being on. Likely never happen unless timer itself goes wonky...providing timer window for 3 is contained within timer window for 1/2 which is really just a programming item.

Probably going with initial diagram above, only change being pigtail L2 for stenner off of heater L2 as both will be running into junction box so Stenner outlet/receptacle wires can run into main timer box in same Liquidtite run as heater.

Now if I could just get some time off work at pool company to hook it all up; busy season still very busy. Funny, when I worked as a software developer I had plenty of free time at work to cruise pool forums; now, working for a pool company, when pool forums like this would actually be 'work-related', I got no time to read them. Careful what you wish for.