First test Taylor 100 kit

r4m

Jun 23, 2009
Louisville/ Ohio
This is my first test with the Taylor 100 kit recommended by people here at the forum.
Results are:
FC=5.5
CC=.5
TC=6
PH=7.8
CH=500ppm
TA=180
CYA=30
I am using chlorine tabs in skimmer.
Poolife MPT Extra Multifunctional Tablets, (prevents algae, prevents staining &scaling formation and clarifies water)
active ingredients: Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione 93.5%, Copper Sulfate pentahydrate 1.5%, other ingredients 5%

thanks
Bill

edit: It is a round above ground 27 ft, 19,400 gal

I'd suggest other tablets if you're dead set on using tabs. Cooper = green hair and staining. I'd also suggest in a floater, not a skimmer. Trichlor is acidic and not good going directly into your pump. My best suggestion is to read more Pool School and stop using tablets at all. Your CYA is at a nice level now. Keep using tablets and it will get too high to manage your pool economically.

Also, pH results?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Welcome! I see problems in your future..

Yes, CH is high. It's manageable, but since you'll end up having to do a partial drain anyway to lower the accumulated CYA from using pucks, it will go down then.

Those pucks add copper. A little isn't all that noticeable. But it does build up over time and can cause blotchy stains on the surfaces as well as green hair. When that happens, you get this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/76101-Help!!-Green-crunchy-hair

Crunch some numbers... 2 ppm/day FC loss is the low end of normal. Every week you will add at least 14 FC with pucks AND about 10 CYA. By Fourth of July you will be at 70 CYA. Minimum FC for that is 5, and you might be okay. By the end of July, you'll be at 110. Minimum FC for that is 8. To get the FC up that high will mean shoving a few more pucks in the feeder, which will accelerate the rate of CYA rise, and you will be caught in a vicious spiral. You will need to replace 75% of your water to get CYA down to a reasonable-enough level so that you can afford the bleach you will need to SLAM the pool.

Or do a weekly drain of 10-20% to keep CYA down, and then you'll get to rebalance all the new water every week.

I've said my piece. You wrote, "I am committed to using tablets this summer. I bought enough to last the summer." Since your mind is made up, I just thought I'd get you prepared for what you will need to do to keep things balanced.

What would be the alternative to the tablets that would be a good route to go? It may be better than what I've committed to already. I could try to return a bucket of the tablets. Or it may be worth my $$$ to bite the bullet and go a different route.

What would be the alternative to the tablets that would be a good route to go? It may be better than what I've committed to already. I could try to return a bucket of the tablets. Or it may be worth my $$$ to bite the bullet and go a different route.
I'm in the same boat as you, OK - maybe a little worse. I have the bucket of pucks and I have fought for several months to get my CYA from 200+ to the reasonable (that is a joke) level of 100.

Can you say WalMart? Great Valu bleach. I add about 1/3 of a gallon a day, testing chlorine & pH every day or two. The pucks are being saved for vacations when I HAVE to use floaters and I have no idea what I will do with the powered shock I have.

So then if I read right, to balance my pool I need to:
PH....add 1 qt. muriatic acid
CH....add 229 oz calcium chloride
CYA..add 26 oz of stabilizer

FC=5.5
CC=.5
TC=6
PH=7.8
CH=500ppm
TA=180
CYA=30
19,400 round above ground pool

Your CH is already on the high side, so you don't need to raise it any more,

You are correct about the 26 oz of CYA to raise your CYA to 40 ppm, but you probably want to hold off on the muriatic acid for now, as one of the secondary effects of CYA is to lower pH, in this case by about .2 which should put you on the high side of the normal range.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both of you will be OK. The granular and puck stuff lasts FOREVER and as you learn to manage your pools, you will be able to use them to help. Just put a lid on them for now but you will not lose ANY of your investment.
Thanks! I already figure I will be using them for vacations when there won't be someone to add bleach. That is unless I bite the bullet and pick up a Stenner or liquidator.

- - - Updated - - -

Your CH is already on the high side, so you don't need to raise it any more,

You are correct about the 26 oz of CYA to raise your CYA to 40 ppm, but you probably want to hold off on the muriatic acid for now, as one of the secondary effects of CYA is to lower pH, in this case by about .2 which should put you on the high side of the normal range.

Ike
Great info Ike!
This is why I like this site. Most pool stores would just sell you the stuff and tell you to toss it in without regard for how one may react with another.

Re: stabilizer

Cyanuric acid is sold under several different names: stabilizer, conditioner, etc. Sometimes those names are also used for other products. As long as you are getting 95+% cyanuric acid it doesn't really matter what brand it is.

Re: stabilizer

I'm not sure when it changed, but I could have sworn the hth stuff used to be 99%. But in any event, it is 96% now, and rightly so is a little cheaper than Pool Store stuff. Plenty good enough for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.