Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First test Taylor 100 kit

1. Back To Top    #1

First test Taylor 100 kit

This is my first test with the Taylor 100 kit recommended by people here at the forum.
    Results are:
    FC=5.5
    CC=.5
    TC=6
    PH=7.8
    CH=500ppm
    TA=180
    CYA=30
    I am using chlorine tabs in skimmer.
    Poolife MPT Extra Multifunctional Tablets, (prevents algae, prevents staining &scaling formation and clarifies water)
    active ingredients: Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione 93.5%, Copper Sulfate pentahydrate 1.5%, other ingredients 5%

thanks
    Bill

edit: It is a round above ground 27 ft, 19,400 gal
    27 ft round, 19,400, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test Taylor 100 kit

I'd suggest other tablets if you're dead set on using tabs. Cooper = green hair and staining. I'd also suggest in a floater, not a skimmer. Trichlor is acidic and not good going directly into your pump. My best suggestion is to read more Pool School and stop using tablets at all. Your CYA is at a nice level now. Keep using tablets and it will get too high to manage your pool economically.

Also, pH results?

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I am committed to using tablets this summer. I bought enough to last the summer. PH is 7.8 (I edited the above results.)
    Isn't my CH high? If so what should I do?
    thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! I see problems in your future..

Yes, CH is high. It's manageable, but since you'll end up having to do a partial drain anyway to lower the accumulated CYA from using pucks, it will go down then.

Those pucks add copper. A little isn't all that noticeable. But it does build up over time and can cause blotchy stains on the surfaces as well as green hair. When that happens, you get this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...n-crunchy-hair

Crunch some numbers... 2 ppm/day FC loss is the low end of normal. Every week you will add at least 14 FC with pucks AND about 10 CYA. By Fourth of July you will be at 70 CYA. Minimum FC for that is 5, and you might be okay. By the end of July, you'll be at 110. Minimum FC for that is 8. To get the FC up that high will mean shoving a few more pucks in the feeder, which will accelerate the rate of CYA rise, and you will be caught in a vicious spiral. You will need to replace 75% of your water to get CYA down to a reasonable-enough level so that you can afford the bleach you will need to SLAM the pool.

Or do a weekly drain of 10-20% to keep CYA down, and then you'll get to rebalance all the new water every week.

I've said my piece. You wrote, "I am committed to using tablets this summer. I bought enough to last the summer." Since your mind is made up, I just thought I'd get you prepared for what you will need to do to keep things balanced.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

What would be the alternative to the tablets that would be a good route to go? It may be better than what I've committed to already. I could try to return a bucket of the tablets. Or it may be worth my $$$ to bite the bullet and go a different route.

6. Back To Top    #6
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by r4m View Post
    What would be the alternative to the tablets that would be a good route to go? It may be better than what I've committed to already. I could try to return a bucket of the tablets. Or it may be worth my $$$ to bite the bullet and go a different route.
    I'm in the same boat as you, OK - maybe a little worse. I have the bucket of pucks and I have fought for several months to get my CYA from 200+ to the reasonable (that is a joke) level of 100.

Can you say WalMart? Great Valu bleach. I add about 1/3 of a gallon a day, testing chlorine & pH every day or two. The pucks are being saved for vacations when I HAVE to use floaters and I have no idea what I will do with the powered shock I have.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I'm in the same boat as you
    Both of you will be OK. The granular and puck stuff lasts FOREVER and as you learn to manage your pools, you will be able to use them to help. Just put a lid on them for now but you will not lose ANY of your investment.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

So then if I read right, to balance my pool I need to:
    PH....add 1 qt. muriatic acid
    CH....add 229 oz calcium chloride
    CYA..add 26 oz of stabilizer

FC=5.5
    CC=.5
    TC=6
    PH=7.8
    CH=500ppm
    TA=180
    CYA=30
    19,400 round above ground pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Your CH is already on the high side, so you don't need to raise it any more,

You are correct about the 26 oz of CYA to raise your CYA to 40 ppm, but you probably want to hold off on the muriatic acid for now, as one of the secondary effects of CYA is to lower pH, in this case by about .2 which should put you on the high side of the normal range.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Ike!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Both of you will be OK. The granular and puck stuff lasts FOREVER and as you learn to manage your pools, you will be able to use them to help. Just put a lid on them for now but you will not lose ANY of your investment.
    Thanks! I already figure I will be using them for vacations when there won't be someone to add bleach. That is unless I bite the bullet and pick up a Stenner or liquidator.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Your CH is already on the high side, so you don't need to raise it any more,

You are correct about the 26 oz of CYA to raise your CYA to 40 ppm, but you probably want to hold off on the muriatic acid for now, as one of the secondary effects of CYA is to lower pH, in this case by about .2 which should put you on the high side of the normal range.

Ike
    Great info Ike!
    This is why I like this site. Most pool stores would just sell you the stuff and tell you to toss it in without regard for how one may react with another.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

stabilizer

Is Walmart stabilizer different from other stabilizers? Are there different qualities?
    thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: stabilizer

Cyanuric acid is sold under several different names: stabilizer, conditioner, etc. Sometimes those names are also used for other products. As long as you are getting 95+% cyanuric acid it doesn't really matter what brand it is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

thanks

16. Back To Top    #16

Just be ware of other wal-mart HTH powdered pool products as many contain copper which can cause green hair and staining
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Isaac.

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm not sure when it changed, but I could have sworn the hth stuff used to be 99%. But in any event, it is 96% now, and rightly so is a little cheaper than Pool Store stuff. Plenty good enough for me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

19. Back To Top    #19

<<<<<.Walmart cya fan. Smaller granules and dissolves more rapidly than 2 others I've tried. I like the cap/measuring cup too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks for the replies!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast