Fired my pool company

Aug 19, 2010
After reading more on this forum and being confident I did not need to pay someone else to maintain my pool, I installed a Nano Digital SWG and converted it over. I've run into one issue. My FC does not seem to be coming down from the crazy high level that the service company was keeping it at. After diluting pool water 2 to 1 with Distilled Water, I got a FC of 33, and that's after two weeks since they did their "weekly shock". I have turned down the SWG to 30%, but with a 10k pool, and SWG rated at 22k, I expect something else is keeping the FC so high. Any ideas? The CYA is also quite high at 120, and I've considered draining and refilling some to bring it down. Is that suggested?

Drain and refill to bring it down into the 60-80 range would be a good thing. Use PoolMath to know how much to drain.

Have you considered purchasing a better test kit yet? The TF-100 and the K-2006 (not the K-2005!) both can accurately measure up to 50 ppm FC. Both are available from http://TFtestkits.net, your best value would be the TF-100. With that kit, you wouldn't have to dilute to see the higher FC, which introduces large errors in the indicated values.

I'd just shut that SWG off completely so the FC drops low enough to go swimming.

How long are you running the filter each day? If the pump and the SWG are both on 24/7 you're wasting money and overchlorinating. Two weeks is too much time to still be blaming the pool service for the high FC. They could have raised FC to 100 and it would be all gone in a few days.

I agree that you need to turn off the SWG until the FC drops to your desired level and then turn it back on.

How long are you running the pump? You will need to adjust the output % and pump run time until you are happy with the water quality and FC level.

What test did you use to measure the CYA at 120?

Did you use half tap water and half pool water then double the result to measure the CYA at 120? If so, I would drain about a third of the water to reduce the CYA to 80. Try the half tap water and half pool water to retest the CYA if you did not do that as the CYA test is difficult to accurately read when it is above 100.

If the CH is really high then you might want to drain even more of the water.

Did you use half tap water and half pool water then double the result to measure the CYA at 120? If so, I would drain about a third of the water to reduce the CYA to 80. Try the half tap water and half pool water to retest the CYA if you did not do that as the CYA test is difficult to accurately read when it is above 100.

If the CH is really high then you might want to drain even more of the water.

I took the CYA without diluting at had to estimate a bit as it was quite so high, and the scale is not linear. Only diluted for the FC test since the first time I was afraid I was going to use the entire bottle of reagent before it went back to clear. Was also not using tap water, but water known not to have any chlorine. I may redo the CYA test diluted to get a more accurate reading since it was off the scale, and it could be higher than 120.

Appears the service company was using some sort of pucks in the chlorinator. That can raise the CYA over time correct? I fished all the pieces out of there I could.

I may redo the CYA test diluted to get a more accurate reading since it was off the scale, and it could be higher than 120.

Appears the service company was using some sort of pucks in the chlorinator. That can raise the CYA over time correct? I fished all the pieces out of there I could.
Yes, the pucks add CYA.

I also had to dilute to get a true CYA reading. I guessed 150 without dilution and ended up over 200 in actuality.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.