Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super Cloudy - but reading don't make sense.

1. Back To Top    #1

Super Cloudy - but reading don't make sense.

So the pool was green when I opened it. I knew I had to shock it. CYA was at 0, FC was at 0. I put in 9lb of CYA to raise my CYA to inbetween 30-40. Let that run for two days. Then last night I put in enough liquid chlorine to raise it to 16 (the shock level for 40 CYA). I do my tests this morning (after being super sad that it was just as much of a cloudy mess as it was when I opened it (also note there is no debirs in the pool)). My readings

FC - 16
    PH - 7.2
    TA = 220 (I know its really high, but I assume this will get fixed at my current PH level once it starts getting aerated by swimmers)
    CC = 0 (I'm not sure how this is zero the solution might have been SLIGHTLY pink from the kit, but it looked near as dangit to clear)
    CYA = 45~

So those are my reading. Can anyone explain the extensive cloudiness? Should I put in clarifier?
    30,000 Gallon, Above Ground, Vinyl, DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Super Cloudy - but reading don't make sense.

Do you have DE in the filter? Have you seen any color changes at all?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes there is 7lb of DE in the filter, as it calls for. And no its the same as it was when the CYA and FC were both at 0.

4. Back To Top    #4

With a DE filter in those conditions I would expect the filter pressure to be going up rapidly and the filter to require backwashing and or cleaning frequently. Is it possible you have the main valve on circulate rather than on filter?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So what does not seem right. The Cc's? Just remember, you may or may not show cc. That does not mean that it is not working. You said you started green. Is it still green or is it turning white. If it is turning white then it's working and just needs to be filtered out. Something that is a hard balance with a de filter. They just work too good. If your water is clearing and the algae is turning white. Run the filter on bypass. The algae should settle somewhat. Then vac to waist VERY SLOWLY. That should get most of it out, then finish the slam process to filter the rest.

17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

6. Back To Top    #6

EDIT - Now that I examine it more, I guess it getting a little "milky" its still super green, which I don't understand but it is getting white. I'm not quite sure what I should run my filter on, my filter is this. The filter isn't full by any stretch of the imagination according to the gauge. But I'll try running it on bybass.

http://www.acepools.com/products/sp0...cDqronUzfD_BwE

I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to have it running.