1st time tiny pool owner's stupid idea to maintain a tiny 10x30 pool?

Jun 6, 2014
NYC
First I like to say that reading all these information about pool makes my head spin. All I want is just a little pool for my little girl.

Back to topic, I am planing to get a intex 10x30 easy set pool for my little girl this summer. She loves water.
As I was doing all the research about how to maintain the pool, suddenly it hits me with a "stupid" idea.
From what I read so far, I am supposed to test the water once a while, add chemical regularly and have pump running a few hour everyday in order for the pool to go thru summer. However, since I am only use the pool only on the weekend, why don't I just setup the pool on the Saturday morning with fresh water, drain it by Sunday afternoon, somehow store it, then repeat it next week?

The pros of this idea are, (I think)
-the pool's so small, it cost me $1.5 water to fill it up each time. If I use it for 2 month, it's Only $12 total. Got be cheaper than the chemical I have to buy and the electricity for the pump used?
-Since I will somehow store the pool during weekday, it should not kill the grass on the lawn where I set the pool?
-I don't have to worry about all these testing and adding chemical since each time is only two days or less for the pool?

The cons are
-time needed to setup and takedown the pool every weekend. No idea how long and tedious that would be. Hopefully not too long. And compare to maintain it regularly, it could be justified.

So, what do you guys think of this idea? Does the pros and cons make sense? Is this practical?

Maybe the idea has been shoot down before?

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

It is very logical to do it the way you want and not have to worry about it. The only thing I would do different is to just add a cup of bleach after every use at night after she's used the pool and then dump it after you're done using it!

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

It is very logical to do it the way you want and not have to worry about it. The only thing I would do different is to just add a cup of bleach after every use at night after she's used the pool and then dump it after you're done using it!

I actually thought about that, just don't know if it is still necessary since the water only going to be there 2 days and 1 night.

By my calculate, the size of pool is about 1100 gal of water, would a cup of bleach do that job for good? Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks!!

There may be some logic in what you plan to do, but don't expect much if any monetary savings. I am running a bit of an experiment using the dichlor then bleach method on a small intex pool this summer (just started it last weekend) using just a basic 2 way test kit and calculated dosage of products to control those things the basic 2 way test kit can not account for. The pool I am using is set up in the enclosed part of my yard for the dog to use to cool down in (good kid simulation). This is my first small cheap intex pool, in my case a 12x36 Easy Set which holds about 1775 gallons, or in other words almost double the amount the 10x30 1018 gallons that you are considering, both of these pools come with the same 1/20th HP 530 GPH model 603 filter pump which draws only about 1/2 of and amp of electricity (about as much as a single common light bulb) while running, or put another way, under 20 cents per day if you left it running 24 hours straight and you have above average electrical cost. On the chemical side, at 1 week into my experiment I am still using only dichlor for chlorination, and washing soda to adjust the pH. I have used about $2.50 in dichlor, and about 50 cents worth of washing soda for the week, once I finish the initial 1 pound dichlor addition I will switch to using about 1/2 cup (4 to 5 ounces) of bleach per day for chlorination, and will probably need less if any washing soda. Bleach is currently running $3.50 for 121 ounce bottle of 8.25% at Wal-Mart here, so roughly 3 cents per ounce, or 12 cents per day, or around dollar per week in total chemical cost. Keep in mind these numbers are for a 1775 gallon 12x36 easy set, where even leaving the pump running constantly we are talking about around $2 per week cost of operation. By contrast setting up the pool last weekend once I had the ground levelled, and I had filled in various small divots with sand took probably 15-20 minutes using a small air compressor to inflate the ring, and more time consuming getting all the wrinkles out of the bottom when there was about an inch of water in the pool to hold it in place, followed by 3 or 4 hours for the pool to fill from a garden hose.

You should acct for your little one to actually use the pool as a potty. So yes, a cup of bleach nightly would be ideal and the sun would burn that off by day. Another cup and then dump the next day.

If it's 3-4 hr for you to setup yours, I assume mine would be 2 hr at least?

My thing is that if it takes me more than an hour to setup, then the idea is out of window...

Very good calculation on cost. Thank you very much!

I don't think you will enjoy the pool at all taking it down all the time. It will become a huge dread and burden on you. Set it up and follow our small pool guide in the link below.

Come and ask questions if you need too, and let your little girl enjoy the summer. Don't be surprised if you enjoy the pool as much as she does. :D

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Thank you all, guys.

After reading all this, I think I am going to throw the idea away.

My next question is, from everything I am reading so far, I do know I suppose to have the pump running everyday, but seem like no one is talking about how long the pump supposed to run in each day?

Issac-1 was saying running pump 24 hr cost on above post, is that mean pump needs run?

The pool I order come with stock pump 530 gallon per hr, I think I read somewhere that pool needs to have all water go thru filter once per day, giving my pool is 1000 gallon, then I should have the pump run only 2-4 hr per day would be enough?

The pool I order will be here Wednesday, I am not sure if the pump manual would have recommendation for me or not, I just want to get more information I need before setting up the pool.

The general rule is to run the filter enough to keep the pool clear, which for typical larger pool/pump/filter combos seems to be 4-8 hrs a day on average.

My first thought would be to switch in on in the morning and let it run for a while, and do the same in the evening. With a newly assembled pool you'll need to watch for things like pipes coming loose, so there's something to be said for initially running the pump while you're there to keep an eye on it occasionally.

On average most people run the pump long enough to get at least 2 turnovers per day. You can start out with 2 hours and if that keeps the pool clean then you are good. If you get the cover for your pool you can "close" it during the week by skimming off any debris, adding enough bleach to bring the FC to 10ppm, run the pump an hour, put on the cover and leave it alone til next weekend. Take the cover off the night before you plan to use it and run the pump an hour, then test the FC.

If you are keeping the water you should add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Use PoolMath to determine how much you will need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome! :wave:

You have a small advantage in that if the chemistry does get away from you, dumping and starting over is an easy option. It's really not that difficult. The quantities of chemicals you'll use are tiny. Some of us dose by jugs and pounds; you'll be breaking out the measuring spoons.

On average most people run the pump long enough to get at least 2 turnovers per day. You can start out with 2 hours and if that keeps the pool clean then you are good. If you get the cover for your pool you can "close" it during the week by skimming off any debris, adding enough bleach to bring the FC to 10ppm, run the pump an hour, put on the cover and leave it alone til next weekend. Take the cover off the night before you plan to use it and run the pump an hour, then test the FC.

If you are keeping the water you should add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Use PoolMath to determine how much you will need.

I actually did order a cover alone with the pool.

So you are saying once I done using the pool by Sunday night, I can leave the pump alone till next Saturday after did what you suggest?

Also, before use, why need to take the cover off while the the pump is running? To let out air or something?
Wouldn't let the cover off overnight build up more "stuff"?

Another plus for leaving the pool up...the temperature. It takes awhile to heat that water when it is coming out of the ground. 9 C (not sure in F). You may want a small solar blanket by August to keep the heat with the chilly nights.

My friend did mention that to me as well. I am gonna let my pool up for sure.

By keep the water warmer using a solar blanket, is there other pros beside we don't feel too cold for water? Cons?

Since I order a cover already, does it make sense to order a solar blanket and have it underneath the cover?

Another plus for leaving the pool up...the temperature.
Finally, pjbear brings up the most significant argument against a weekend drain/refill. The fill water will probably be around 60 F and will probably take 2 days of full sun to get to 80 F where you can swim. :-(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.