Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will bleach settle over time in a container with some pool water added?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will bleach settle over time in a container with some pool water added?

If I mix 2 jugs of 8.25% bleach and 1 jug of pool water in a container and let it sit will the bleach settle to the bottom over the course of a week with no circulation? I believe this mixture is 5.5% bleach. The bleach and water will be mixed prior to sitting. I think I saw a description like this in the chlorinator manual. The chlorinator gets aggitated I guess but Im talking about still water. This is a project Im working on.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will bleach settle over time in a container with some pool water added?

Well, bleach is heavier than water. That is why it is recommended to pour in front of a return, pencil thick so it gets distributed and does not sink to the bottom of the pool. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon to give their $.02.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

If the bleach is mixed with the water, then it will not settle. Though bleach is denser than water, that is only relevant when pouring into still water. Once mixed, it stays mixed, especially in a volume of water as small as a bucket. Diffusion alone will overcome any gravitational differential in that small a volume.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Good deal. As usual thanks for the replies.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

In some cases, impurities in the pool water can cause the bleach to lose strength more quickly than normal even though it now has a lower concentration.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School