Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dent in pool floor....

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Dent in pool floor....

well... that didnt take long. we were putting in our confer curved steps and my son was helping me with the tube sand weights we built. he dropped one. it is 20 lbs. It made a nice concave dent in the bottom of the pool floor about 1 inch deep. I donned some goggles and dove down and looked at it. Liner looks fine, it formed into the dent, no wrinkles or nothing. Pushing on it a bit with my fingers I worked a little bit of it out.

its not a big deal to me, as its right next to the side of the stairs where no one will hardly ever be anyway.

what effect do dents like this have on the liner? does it cause any lifespan issues or can it rupture or is it just a "cosmetic" issue.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dent in pool floor....

Cosmetic for the most part. Make sure you do not miss the spot when cleaning.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

As mentioned above, it's all cosmetic. You will se dirt pool there more than anything. But don't be surprised next year if you see little wrinkles forming. It's normal. Your pool bottom isn't going to stay perfect. I think you should just get in and enjoy the pool and not worry about the floor. Pretty soon, you'll have kids jumping in and dents all over the place.

P.S. Don't swim in my pool. The floor looks like the moon because I did not have time to do it as I was very busy taking care of my husband post motorcycle accident. I was trying to do it and care for him at the same time as I was leading up to a dead line to get the base ready for install. I basically gave in on the floor of the pool to take care of him. My liner doesn't leak but it's a bear to sweep. Oh well.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the replies. yeah, i figure it will be a new spot my Barracuda will want to hang up on. Oh well..... on to forming up our concrete deck so we can get to doing some swimming....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

You may want to check it from time to time with a bit of red food coloring to make sure a leak does not develop, but for the most part this is cosmetic
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Good info. This confirms my theory about how my pool bottom dents appeared...teenagers.
    Mark A. Shaw
    40K, IG, Vinyl, DE, Purex Triton Challenger 1 hp 75 gpm, PT Nautilus FNS 60, Polaris PB4-60, w/P360, Test Kit: TF-100 & Aqua Chek strips, Blue elec. pool cover, 16.5 gal Kegerator

7. Back To Top    #7

When i was younger we had an above ground pool that had just sand under the liner... i used to use my feet to flatten out higher spots as well as walk on my heels digging little divots into the sand...
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az