went to local pool store for water testing

So i decided to go into my local pool store to get my pool water tested because I just had a feeling those cheap strips weren't doing the job anyways this is the results

Stabilizer -0
Pre-Alkalinity
total alkalinity -125
Ph- 7.5
Calcium Hardness- 200
Total disolved solids- 2900
FC- 6.0
CC- 0.0
Bromine- 0.0
Disolved Metals-None
water colour- blue
water clarity- excellent
staining- none
algae- none
MBA 60/4LG- 2.0

So they said I had A high chlorine level so they gave me 1.75kg of stabilizer. I currently using the sock method. I'm actually quite surprised they didnt try to sell me anything else but anyways the point i'm trying to make is i finally understand these test strips are useless because all the readings i was getting were false!!! I can't wait for my Taylor K2006 to come in the mail because i surely cant rely on these strips!!

agreed. I ran out of some of my tft100 kit supplies (ordered refills) and so i took a sample to the pool store. I went to the "testing" station and the young girl pulled out a container of test strips and i was like, uhhhh....lol anyways yea strips are useless and a pool store that would rely on giving their customers advice based on a strip are probably worse than the strips.

That is too much CYA stabilizer for a 5,000 gallon 16x48 pool, assuming it really was 0 CYA to start with you only need 54 ounces to get to 80 ppm CYA, or 1.5 KG. And this is a BIG assumption, even if I were to trust the pool store testing, I would only add half of that then retest.

Ike

The lady at the pool store said to add the whole thing so i did...**** i wish i read this before....I'm still waiting on my Taylor K2006 to arrive in the mail so ive been testing with test strips in the meantime. Water looks really clear but FC and Total chlorine are high FC is 10 and total chlorine is 10 too, ( going by the test strips) Just wondering is this normal? should i even be testing since i added the stabilizer last friday? I was reading it's better to wait at least a week to test once you stabilize the pool is this true? and would it be safe to swim now?

well i went back to the pool store and had them test it again they said everything is good, my chlorine is a bit high but not that high and it was good to swim in and they also gave me something to lower the chlorine. SO i've decided i'm going to lower my SWG from 4 hrs a day to 3 and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone for their help

Agreed, and welcome to TFP.

Once you get the kit, and learn how to test, trust this results and forget going back there for advice. As Jason says, it's obviously a waste of fuel. Good luck, and let us know how we can help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.