Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: went to local pool store for water testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face went to local pool store for water testing

So i decided to go into my local pool store to get my pool water tested because I just had a feeling those cheap strips weren't doing the job anyways this is the results

Stabilizer -0
    Pre-Alkalinity
    total alkalinity -125
    Ph- 7.5
    Calcium Hardness- 200
    Total disolved solids- 2900
    FC- 6.0
    CC- 0.0
    Bromine- 0.0
    Disolved Metals-None
    water colour- blue
    water clarity- excellent
    staining- none
    algae- none
    MBA 60/4LG- 2.0

So they said I had A high chlorine level so they gave me 1.75kg of stabilizer. I currently using the sock method. I'm actually quite surprised they didnt try to sell me anything else but anyways the point i'm trying to make is i finally understand these test strips are useless because all the readings i was getting were false!!! I can't wait for my Taylor K2006 to come in the mail because i surely cant rely on these strips!!
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: went to local pool store for water testing

agreed. I ran out of some of my tft100 kit supplies (ordered refills) and so i took a sample to the pool store. I went to the "testing" station and the young girl pulled out a container of test strips and i was like, uhhhh....lol anyways yea strips are useless and a pool store that would rely on giving their customers advice based on a strip are probably worse than the strips.
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge
    2.25 hp hayward pump 2 speed

3. Back To Top    #3

That is too much CYA stabilizer for a 5,000 gallon 16x48 pool, assuming it really was 0 CYA to start with you only need 54 ounces to get to 80 ppm CYA, or 1.5 KG. And this is a BIG assumption, even if I were to trust the pool store testing, I would only add half of that then retest.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

The lady at the pool store said to add the whole thing so i did...**** i wish i read this before....I'm still waiting on my Taylor K2006 to arrive in the mail so ive been testing with test strips in the meantime. Water looks really clear but FC and Total chlorine are high FC is 10 and total chlorine is 10 too, ( going by the test strips) Just wondering is this normal? should i even be testing since i added the stabilizer last friday? I was reading it's better to wait at least a week to test once you stabilize the pool is this true? and would it be safe to swim now?
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

I hate to say it, but it looks like you are going to need to drain and replace about 1/5 of your water to get it down to manageable levels
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Or better than draining, get a whole bunch of kids in there and tell them to splash like crazy. Then see what is left to drain.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

well i went back to the pool store and had them test it again they said everything is good, my chlorine is a bit high but not that high and it was good to swim in and they also gave me something to lower the chlorine. SO i've decided i'm going to lower my SWG from 4 hrs a day to 3 and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone for their help
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum

8. Back To Top    #8

Your kit will be an eye opener. I would not waste the fuel to get to the store for their testing. Hope they did not really screw you up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Agreed, and welcome to TFP.

Once you get the kit, and learn how to test, trust this results and forget going back there for advice. As Jason says, it's obviously a waste of fuel. Good luck, and let us know how we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem