Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering FC

This is the first summer with our pool. Last couple days water testing have been very consistent....haven't even had to add acid to lower the pH.

pH 7.5
    FC 11
    CC 0
    TA 70
    CH 300
    CYA 80

My question is about how to lower the FC. I know it's safe to swim and all but it really doesn't need to be that high I don't think. We haven't been in the pool yet because the water is too cold (no heater, yet), 72 deg. So I'm trying to figure out my pump run time with the SWG %. We have pump set for 12 hours on, 12 hours off. I had SWG at 40% three days ago, and each day I would lower the percentage and tonight after testing and seeing the FC was STILL at 11 (for the last 3 days), it's now set to 0% and I will test again tomorrow evening. Would it make sense to just shut off the SWG until the FC level drops? Using the TF-100 test kit.

Thanks!
    13K gal, 16x32 IG vinyl, Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP, Hayward Perflex DE filter, AquaRite SWCG T-15. Hayward SharkVac. AquaCal T-115 heat pump. Built Oct 2013. TF100 test kit. Borated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering FC

That is way more pump run time than you need. I would shorten that and see where the FC settles.

My pool is bigger with the same SWG, I run 8 hours at 50%, so you likely need less than that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That is way more pump run time than you need. I would shorten that and see where the FC settles.

My pool is bigger with the same SWG, I run 8 hours at 50%, so you likely need less than that.

Thanks....didn't know it was okay to run pump that short of time on account of keeping the dirt filtered out and all, we have a lot of trees around. Do you do the 8 hours during the day or at night, or doesn't it matter? Thought I read somewhere that daytime is better.
    13K gal, 16x32 IG vinyl, Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP, Hayward Perflex DE filter, AquaRite SWCG T-15. Hayward SharkVac. AquaCal T-115 heat pump. Built Oct 2013. TF100 test kit. Borated.

4. Back To Top    #4

Likely 4 hours is enough, see the article in the How To section of Pool School. I only run that long and during the day for solar heating purposes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!