Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump question/low flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump question/low flow

When I start my pump it runs good and completely fills with water to the lid. I have great return pressure coming from the return jets. After a few hours of running my filter pressure goes from about a 9 to 15. During this time the flow coming from the return jets is much weaker and the pump is no longer strongly pumping water the entire way to the lid, maybe just 3/4th full.

Is the filter pressure causing this? Something is causing the pump to not pull water like it does when it's first started. Could I possibly have a leak on the return side? My water level has dropped roughly an inch just the past week. Seems kinda excessive for just evaporation. Is there anyway to check this? Ideas? Thanks
    Moved so no longer pool owner, keeper of pool of family member

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump question/low flow

What you're describing sounds like a clogging filter. I think a good cleaning will fix it.

To check for a leak, set a plastic bucket on the step and fill it with water. Mark the water level inside the bucket and outside the bucket. If it's evaporation, they'll both drop the same. If it's a leak, the bucket will have dropped less than the pool.

Wind affects evaporation more than temperature. An inch a week doesn't sound bad to me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump question/low flow

Thanks for the help. I too thought it was the filters. They probably need replaced but not doing that this year. I got the aqua comb this year, makes cleaning the cartridges a breeze. I think they could use a good acid bath.
    Moved so no longer pool owner, keeper of pool of family member