Leaking equipment

cfos

May 26, 2013
Had pool company open pool and after a few days, noticed a leak in what appears to be my magnatech century two speed pool and spa motor. He's a few pics:

pipes2_zps50ee521a.jpg

2014-06-06191139_zpsa4d9c951.jpg

And a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ng_0SQR6JY&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately, all pool service is closed for the evening and only a few shops will be open over the weekend. My guess is that it may be a few days before I can have this fixed appropriately. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Could I need a simple part and possible buy something and fix myself?

Maybe the almond gasket? (Part 9 in diagram)

http://www.aquapoolstore.com/011523.html

Or do I need a full pump replacement?

Any suggestions or comments appreciated. Briefly, I'm a new pool owner that inherited a pool with the house. I've done well, with forum help, in maintaining the pool myself over the summer, but still rely on pool companies to open and close the pool.

If the pump is leaking water, you will need to identify exactly where it is leaking and then take apart the pump and make the repair. You might be ahead of the game to have that done professionally. It can be one of several things in your pump.

I did take it apart and tried replacing two gaskets. That didn't help. I am going to get some more silicon sealant and try replacing the seal plate. One of my hex screws seems stripped and I wonder if that is part of the cause. Will take pictures when I try again.

The shaft seal also seems like the next logical place -- thanks for confirming. The Go-32 kit I bought has a replacement shaft seal, so when I get back at it, I am going to replace that part and hope for the best.

Thank you for posting the link.

I tried again and got as far as unscrewing the impeller screw. I just couldn't seem to be able to remove the impeller plate. I didn't try it the way it was demonstrated in the link provide above, with the vise grips. Rather just trying to hold the motor shaft from behind, which may not have been the most effect way. although, that area -- where the vise grip looks to be is where I feel my leak is coming.

Rather than let frustration get the better of me, I think I may completely disconnect the wires and get the motor on table rather than continue to try to do this in the pool room on the ground -- as describe in the link above. Please provide any suggestions as to how to deal with a stubborn impeller plate/motor shaft disassembly.

Of note, it looks like one of my hex screws (described as allen screws in the link provided) is stripped. Are these easy to find/purchase at a home depot or ACE hardware? If so, are they called something specific? I would think that the assembly is pretty tight, although I'm wondering if that might also be contributing to the flow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the help of the link provided above, I was able to separate the impeller plate. The picture of the vise-grip pliers inserted underneath the motor really worked for my stubborn impeller plate. All the videos I saw simply held the end still and easily unscrewed it. It took a good 30 min of patience and repositioning until I got it off.

2014-06-08135052_zps1b375277.jpg

Since I was replacing this seal, I decided I would try to replace the hex screw that got stripped (I know the pic is blurry, but you get the idea):

2014-06-08135114_zps1f310914.jpg

Anyway, Home Depot didn't carry it (of course). So I bought a #4 1&0.5 inch screw and cut it down to size using wire cutters. After careful reassembly, no leaks as of yet. Thank you TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.