0 Pool Knowledge, First easy set pool HELP!

m_more

May 16, 2014
Montgomery, NY
Got first pool for our child. 10x30 easy set pool and a hth 6 way test kit (will splurge on the "good" kit in a few weeks)

first test after a few hours of kid swim in with a cup of, no name brand, no % info bleach....put in twice a day. Water is CLEAR and we're on day 2 of just bleach and running pump all day.

TC: .5
PH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 170-200 ppm (I did this test twice I feel first time I rushed the drops so did it again and got a lower reading)
Hardness: 250 ppm

Since I've only added bleach I didn't do the CYA test since it only brings two.

We just ordered a 1000gph pump from amazon and looking for some dichlor shock to start from what I've read this is what I need.
The alkalinity is the only one that seems out of whack. What can I do to fix it, if it needs fixing or should I just wait until I get the chemicals before I worry about this?!

It doesn't need fixing. Watch the PH, if it drifts up past 7.8, you need to know your Alkalinity level to calculate the acid dose to lower the PH.

You can do the dichlor but don't search high and low, if you can find "Stabilizer" at Walmart you can use that instead.

You can get a 1 pound bag of dichlor from amazon for about $10 (they had it for $7 last week), for a pool the size of yours you only need about half a pound or so (9 ounces to be exact for 37ppm CYA) of dichlor added over a number of days to keep the FC from getting too high to get your CYA up into the range we suggest for seasonal pools using basic limited range test kits.

Ike

I would just get the stabilizer from Wally World but that's just me.

Got some aqua chem stabilizer 100% cyanuric acid. I'll add 9oz of it in a stocking (from what I've read here) and let it dissolve then test.
Thank You!!! I am hoping it all works as the system here seems WAAAAAAY easier than the half a shed full of chemicals my neighbor has....most of which have been used once at a hefty price.

Thanks.... I looked it up on the pool calculator and if I did it right it said almost 5oz so I did 3 and will test in a couple of days and adjust as needed. I could always dump and refill like is sooo small but I want to learn the right way from the beginning!

So after adding the cyanuric acid I retested (still using 6 way test kit)

TC- 3
PH- 7.2
CYA- 30
TA - 180
Hardness - 250

The alkalinity is the only one that seems out of whack...I'm going to input numbers on pool math and see what I need to fix it... Anything else that might need fixing for now??.... We also just got a bigger intex pump...and the darn thing leaks when we turn it off, hoping to get it figured out in the AM. And in a couple of weeks we'll be ordering the better kit as we're planning to get a bigger pool next year.

Thanks for all the help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So far this has been a dream!!! test once a day when not in use and I see chlorine not moving much maybe I should test every other day?? We keep a cover on our tiny beach at all times.
When it's been used I test before and after and add chlorine accordingly usually not much. .My PH hasn't gone up but TA has stayed exactly the same.

Thanks Y'all for all the help!!!

We will be getting the better kit after the 4th of July since we're DEFINITELY getting a bigger pool next year!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.