Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 0 Pool Knowledge, First easy set pool HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

0 Pool Knowledge, First easy set pool HELP!

Got first pool for our child. 10x30 easy set pool and a hth 6 way test kit (will splurge on the "good" kit in a few weeks)

first test after a few hours of kid swim in with a cup of, no name brand, no % info bleach....put in twice a day. Water is CLEAR and we're on day 2 of just bleach and running pump all day.

TC: .5
    PH: 7.5
    Total Alkalinity: 170-200 ppm (I did this test twice I feel first time I rushed the drops so did it again and got a lower reading)
    Hardness: 250 ppm

Since I've only added bleach I didn't do the CYA test since it only brings two.

We just ordered a 1000gph pump from amazon and looking for some dichlor shock to start from what I've read this is what I need.
    The alkalinity is the only one that seems out of whack. What can I do to fix it, if it needs fixing or should I just wait until I get the chemicals before I worry about this?!
    AG Intex 16'x48" ultra-frame pool. 16" intex sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 0 Pool Knowledge, First easy set pool HELP!

It doesn't need fixing. Watch the PH, if it drifts up past 7.8, you need to know your Alkalinity level to calculate the acid dose to lower the PH.

You can do the dichlor but don't search high and low, if you can find "Stabilizer" at Walmart you can use that instead.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

You can get a 1 pound bag of dichlor from amazon for about $10 (they had it for $7 last week), for a pool the size of yours you only need about half a pound or so (9 ounces to be exact for 37ppm CYA) of dichlor added over a number of days to keep the FC from getting too high to get your CYA up into the range we suggest for seasonal pools using basic limited range test kits.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I would just get the stabilizer from Wally World but that's just me.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Got some aqua chem stabilizer 100% cyanuric acid. I'll add 9oz of it in a stocking (from what I've read here) and let it dissolve then test.
    Thank You!!! I am hoping it all works as the system here seems WAAAAAAY easier than the half a shed full of chemicals my neighbor has....most of which have been used once at a hefty price.

7. Back To Top    #7

The 9 ounces i posted above was for dichlor not dry cya i am mobile now so cant look up right amount of cya
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks.... I looked it up on the pool calculator and if I did it right it said almost 5oz so I did 3 and will test in a couple of days and adjust as needed. I could always dump and refill like is sooo small but I want to learn the right way from the beginning!

9. Back To Top    #9

So after adding the cyanuric acid I retested (still using 6 way test kit)

TC- 3
    PH- 7.2
    CYA- 30
    TA - 180
    Hardness - 250

The alkalinity is the only one that seems out of whack...I'm going to input numbers on pool math and see what I need to fix it... Anything else that might need fixing for now??.... We also just got a bigger intex pump...and the darn thing leaks when we turn it off, hoping to get it figured out in the AM. And in a couple of weeks we'll be ordering the better kit as we're planning to get a bigger pool next year.

Thanks for all the help!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't worry too much about TA, it is a last thing to fine tune, also CYA can take a week to fully register on the test, so assume it made it up to your target level.

11. Back To Top    #11

With the high TA it will just cause your PH to go up... Lowering the PH will over time drop your TA as well.
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az

12. Back To Top    #12

So far this has been a dream!!! test once a day when not in use and I see chlorine not moving much maybe I should test every other day?? We keep a cover on our tiny beach at all times.
    When it's been used I test before and after and add chlorine accordingly usually not much. .My PH hasn't gone up but TA has stayed exactly the same.

Thanks Y'all for all the help!!!

We will be getting the better kit after the 4th of July since we're DEFINITELY getting a bigger pool next year!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Congratulations on having such a good first experience! I'm still with my intex pool and it has to have been close to 10 years that we've had it! Only 1 year with TFP though! 1 sparkly clear year.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

If you feel comfortable in the trends for your pool you can move to testing every other day, each pool is different, just remember to test more if conditions change (more use, storms, etc.)