Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spa opening questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Plymouth Meeting, PA

spa opening questions

Hello all. Thank you so much for the advice on opening my pool. It is wonderful and my family and I have really been enjoying it these last 2 weeks. I have finally gotten around to opening the built in spa (previous home owner drained it for the winter). It needed some fixes on the drain cover which I made and then I filled it up, set the jandy to 100% spa suction, 100% spa return and put some chlorine in it.

One thing I noticed is when i started up the pump with the 100% spa suction, 100% spa return, the DE filter pressure was 5% higher than when i had it with 100% pool suction, 100% pool return. Is this normal to have the filter pressure be that much different with a different suction/return setup?

Lastly, the spa has a blower to give the jets a boost. I turned that on to make sure everything was in working order, and it was. However, the blower was making a whirring sound, not too loud but noticeable. Is this normal? Is there any yearly routine maintenance I should be doing on this blower.

I attached some pictures (the blower is not on the spa in the pic below).

25,000 gallons (in-ground plaster pool+spa)
    Hayward DE Filter, 1.5 hp pump, Polaris 3900 Sport Vacuum, Honeywell Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit, Using TroubleFree Method
    Getting the hang of pool ownership....

2. Back To Top    #2

Las Vegas

Re: spa opening questions

The difference in your pressure could be nothing more than the way its plumbed, Every elbow and tight turn in the pipe restricts flow and will increase your back pressure. I wouldn't worry about it.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.