Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax vs washing soda- which is better and cheaper?

1. Back To Top    #1

Monroe, Louisiana

Borax vs washing soda- which is better and cheaper?

My ph is 7.2 and I need to bring it up. Is there any difference between adding the washing soda vs the borax?

I've priced both and the soda seems cheaper, although I just bought borax in bulk on Amazon Prime Pantry for much cheaper than in store (a handy little service if you've never used it).

Is it just a matter of preference or does one do the trick better than the other?
    NE Louisiana
    25k gallon IG 16x30 vinyl liner pool
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP
    Intermatic timer, ~8hr/day
    Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Borax vs washing soda- which is better and cheaper?

You might not need either. What's the TA reading? It might just need some aeration to drive pH up. And actually, 7.2 is a perfectly acceptable number, so there's no reason to do anything with it at all.

Now... for your question. Head over to poolmath and scroll down to the bottom and look at Effects of Adding Chemicals. You will see how much each pH adjuster will affect the TA. You might pick one over the other because of that. Or because you can find one in the store but not the other.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Borax vs washing soda- which is better and cheaper?

Borax doesn't raise the TA as much, which is sometimes valuable. However, if you are dealing with trichlor tablets, washing soda is better as it comes closer to balancing out the PH/TA effects of trichlor tablets.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School