Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone have consistent luck with "in floor" cleaners??"

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone have consistent luck with "in floor" cleaners??"

Like these?

http://www.1paramount.com/

I have a large pool which is run by two of these systems. I have about 30 of them in the pool itself for close to 10 years.

They never worked right. Ever.

Does anyone have a system that DOES work well?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone have consistent luck with "in floor" cleaners??"

There have been a couple of posts from people who have in-floor cleaning systems and still love them years later. But the majority of people posting about in-floor systems are having one kind of problem or another.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ditto what Jason Lion said. Over the years, the infloor systems seem to be a constant problem area and I would certainly not have one in a pool for my use.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, I really wish I could have the $15 k I think it cost back.

5. Back To Top    #5

This is really interesting to me. Last year when I was selecting my PB, all but one (out of six) was pushing these in floor cleaning systems really hard. I was told:

They work great
    They never fail
    There's never any problems
    If there is ever a problem it's only with the heads which are easily replaced with a special tool

The one PB that wasn't pushing them said it was a lot less expensive to buy a robot, and if the robot failed it was much easier and less expensive to fix or replace that than an in floor system.
    26,700 Gal., 18x36 IG pool with Vinyl. 1HP Hayward Super Pump; Hayward DE3620 Filter; Hayward SAS; TFT-100 test kit; Dolphin Atlantis Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow. My experiance is this:

You do need a special tool.
    All of the heads must rotate in a certain way (they called it syncing) or some will counter act the others.
    The only way to adjust them is with the tool.
    Doing this is extremely complicated with out scuba gear.

End point: The robot is MUCH cheaper and at least it works pretty well.

7. Back To Top    #7

Having had a Robot for about a month, I can't imagine it being any better. Cleaning his carts would be nothing compared to trying to fix a sprinkler head 5 ft under water. They just sound too potentially problematic to me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

My in floor system works fine. Pool installed in 2005. I bought the house in 2008, never had a pool before. Had to replace the disc in the regulator in 2012. I have minimal leaf issues as I live in the desert. Lots of dust and sand, a few small leaves from bushes. I bought a simple hose and manual vac this year as a few more leaves blew in than usual. I have had to use it only 3-4 times. If we are not using the pool daily I need to brush once or twice a week to move a few leaves towards skimmer or drain.

Don't know if I would put one in a new pool, would depend on the cost. But I love my system
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

9. Back To Top    #9

In floor has been working great for me. Heads are very easy to service or swap if I need to. Larger plumbing and intelliflo pumps really make these much more energy efficient than previous generations
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a floor cleaner from paramount like the one pictured. Mine has worked fine so far but it is only had my pool 11 months. Occasionally the gray head doesn't pop back down but I just push it and it easily resets.

Pool size: 17x33'4 water surface area: 591 sq ft. Depth: 36 to 7 ft. 23,300 gallons.
    IG. Gunite pebblefina with travertine coping. 18 inch travertine trough waterfall. 2 deck jets I aerator . Aqualink Z SWG. Auto floor cleaner PCC 2000. Jandy stealth variable speed pool pump, cartridge filter and never line valves. Auto fill.
    Taylor k2006 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DrS View Post
    Wow. My experiance is this:

You do need a special tool.
    All of the heads must rotate in a certain way (they called it syncing) or some will counter act the others.
    The only way to adjust them is with the tool.
    Doing this is extremely complicated with out scuba gear.

End point: The robot is MUCH cheaper and at least it works pretty well.
    Even though I am not terribly fond of my system, I've gotta say most of the points in this post are wrong.

You can easily make a "special tool" or use any number of regular tools to get the heads in or out.
    It's impossible to ever keep them in sync, and they work fine without it.
    There are not even any adjustments to make except removing a head when it is jammed or broken
    I've never had any problem without scuba gear. Just swim down and twist to take out the head.

I agree about the robot though! Cheaper and better, only slightly less convenient.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Melt in the Sun, it may be that DrS's pool is several times (10 times?) the size of yours so has more heads to deal with, etc
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

I agree with Melts comments all the way. Previous comments were inaccurate
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Babylovestoys View Post
    I have a floor cleaner from paramount like the one pictured. Mine has worked fine so far but it is only had my pool 11 months. Occasionally the gray head doesn't pop back down but I just push it and it easily resets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    same here. Our pool is roughly 12' by 25' rectangle, we only have two jets, one at each end, blowing toward the main center drain. They rotate a bit when they pop up every half hour. The installer for them put them in with a pool pole that had an attachment on it. took him 15 minutes for both, he never got wet.

I have a few areas against the wall, perpendicular to the axis where the floor jets and main drain line up, those areas need to get brushed.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Two jets don't seem like enough. I have 12 in about the same size pool. They pop up and run when the pump is on. They run in a sequence, two or three at a time, shallow end to deep end, about a couple of minutes to complete the cycle. Although they pop up at lower rpms, they only seem to be effective above 2000 rpm. They rotate about a quarter turn each cycle. Only one small dead spot in the deep end at an inside curve. Only a small area about the size of a large pizza!
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Babylovestoys View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just take the pop-up out and use 0 grade steel wool to clean up all the parts and no more sticking. When I moved into this house I took all of them apart and cleaned them this way. Haven't had any problems since.

I have to agree with some of the posters about the heads working great. So easy to maintain the pool with these things. However, I don't know if they would work well with two speed or variable speed pumps. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I have to.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Xexys View Post
    Just take the pop-up out and use 0 grade steel wool to clean up all the parts and no more sticking. When I moved into this house I took all of them apart and cleaned them this way. Haven't had any problems since.

I have to agree with some of the posters about the heads working great. So easy to maintain the pool with these things. However, I don't know if they would work well with two speed or variable speed pumps. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I have to.
    I have a VS with pop ups. Just as there is little or no skimming action on low RPM there is little cleaning from the pop ups on low RPM. I run the VS a few times a day at higher rpm for skimming and cleaning and at low rpm for maximum filtration during other times the pump is running. My VS has saved me money on electricity and the large number of timer settings available means I can run it off peak and save money there too. Love how quiet it is at low rpm.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I have a VS with pop ups. Just as there is little or no skimming action on low RPM there is little cleaning from the pop ups on low RPM. I run the VS a few times a day at higher rpm for skimming and cleaning and at low rpm for maximum filtration during other times the pump is running. My VS has saved me money on electricity and the large number of timer settings available means I can run it off peak and save money there too. Love how quiet it is at low rpm.
    Thanks for that bit of information! Will be getting the VS pumps when these no longer work. Been looking at them on the internet but I just replaced my pumps about a year and a half ago with the regular intelliflo's that I had before. They were cheap too at $400/the pair.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997