Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP Rocks

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Rocks

I really just wanted to get logged in and say how thankful I am for this forum. I've been reading everything that catches my eye the past couple of weeks.

Had beautiful water for almost 2 months just using bleach (a friend recommended it), then the kids let the dog swim without me knowing and I woke up to a green tinged pool. I was running late and didn't have enough bleach on hand, only half a gallon jug left. Asked hubby to get some and he forgot. By the time I got home it was swampy looking. God bless Mississippi heat... .

I rushed to the local dollar general and got a bunch of bleach (so I wouldn't run out again) and am slowly working my way back to a clean pool. During my bleach job I found this forum and I bet my friend should have told me to come here rather than just use bleach.

Things this forum has schooled me on:
    This whole time I've been cruising with no real test kit, just the strips. Got the TF-100 test kit ordered today and shipped today
    Printed off the instructions for SLAM, charts for CYA & FC levels. Right now I'm just running the filter and putting a bottle of bleach in every day until my test kit comes in. Just to keep from having an actual swamp. It's already gone from a murky green to a cloudy blue, so something is working right.
    Brushing the pool after adding the bleach to the return flow.
    Keeping the kids OUT. Tough job, its summer and now running 90-100 degrees. Even cloudy the pool is inviting...
    I need stabilizer! Since I haven't used any of the pucks, stabilizer or bagged shock, I'm betting my CYA is ZERO.
    I need to get some pool DE. I have a ton of food grade DE, but I understand that doesn't work in pool filters. Correct? Got lots of tiny particles that aren't getting trapped by the sand filter.

So yeah, as soon as I get my kit I'll post my numbers and make sure I'm on track. Many thanks again for the wealth of info here!
    North Central Mississippi - AG 15'x48" Intex Metal Frame (Approx 5300 gallons) - Intex 28651EG Sand Filter (.95HP, 2650GPH)
    New TFP Evangelist

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFP Rocks

Welcome to TFP!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We know! Thanks! Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!! Looks like you've got the perfect mindset to get your pool straightened out and off to a crystal clear summer! We look forward to seeing what your numbers are when your test kit arrives; without those, we're just shooting in the dark.
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

5. Back To Top    #5

I get this mental image when I see the thread title stoning.gif
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome, and hang in there we are glad to have you here
    Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I highly doubt the dog turned the pool green and suspect that the sun was burning the FC off faster than it was being replenished, as you mentioned no CYA. I've had a dog in my old pool any and every day that we swam and it never turned green.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Question Re: TFP Rocks

Thanks for the welcome! @Richard
    @Casey I don't really mean the dog turned the pool green. More like, FC was (and had been) borderline and organic matter on the dirty dog (they did not bathe her and it'd been a while since her last bath) just sent the pool water over the edge chlorine wise.
    Dirty doggy+chronic low chlorine+mississippi heat=algae bloom.

Either way, I'm here now and don't expect to have another one

Got my TF-100 today. I actually passed the delivery driver on my way to work Wow that's a nice kit!
    And as we all suspected, no CYA.

Before adding anything for the day, here were the numbers.
    FC=0
    CC=1
    PH=7.8 (little high, yes?)
    TA=220
    CYA=0

I brought the FC up to 10, liquid bleach 80 ounces. Now I need to purchase some stabilizer and finish out the SLAM properly.
    What do you recommend for stabilizer?
    North Central Mississippi - AG 15'x48" Intex Metal Frame (Approx 5300 gallons) - Intex 28651EG Sand Filter (.95HP, 2650GPH)
    New TFP Evangelist

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tmccool View Post
    What do you recommend for stabilizer?
    There's only one choice: Cyanuric Acid. They might call it stabilizer or conditioner, just read the label. Walmart sells it, so do big box hardware stores and pool stores.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!