BulbWizards PoolBright 202 LED Color Changing Replacement Bulb Review :: Recommended

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
When I was looking into replacing my 300 Watt incandescent bulb with a color changing LED on, I didn't see anyone report on the PoolBright 202 from BulbWizards.

It was significantly cheaper than other similar bulbs, so I gave it a look. Here is what I found:

• Made in USA
  • 3 Year limited warranty
  • They have it for sale on eBay, Amazon, and their own website bulbwizards.com, for the same price ($164)
  • On eBay they have 100% positive rating with 278 reviews.
  • On Amazon they have a few negative comments, but they responded to each negative comment and appear to be genuinely interested in helping resolve issues, which carries some weight in my book
  • Comes in 12V and 120V

I bought on eBay since that gives you significant power as an unsatisfied customer.

Impressions:

• It arrived well packaged and seemed to be well manufactured. It had way more weight than I expected.
  • It fits perfectly in my Amelite 8 1/2" light fixture. It really fills it up, with maybe 1/4" gap all the way around. Much larger than the incandescent bulb, but obviously designed to fit standard pool fixtures.
  • It has 7 constant color settings (Red, Yellow, Green, Aqua, Blue, Purple, and White)
  • It also has 4 "ColorMorph" settings where it cycles though the colors. These vary in time from rapidly changing "disco" mode, to 30 minutes per color.
  • Mode changes are accomplished with your standard on/off switch (no remote necessary). Cycling the power off and back on within 8 seconds (and as quickly as 100 milliseconds) advances to the next mode.
  • Apparently multiple bulbs can be easily synchronized, but I only have only light, so I couldn't test this.

As far as the light it gives off:

• Colors vary in brightness. This is apparently caused by a combination of the different lumens produced by different color LEDs and the fact that certain colors are actually made by turning on several colors simultaneously, so these colors have the additive brightness of each of those colors individually.
  • At it's brightest (white) it is noticeably dimmer than a 300 watt incandescent bulb. To me this is a good thing. I really didn't like the intense light given off by the incandescent bulb. I always felt like it was blindingly bright relative to the darkness outside.
  • Red is the dimmest. It is probably enough light for safety, in that you can see the steps and walls, but it definitely doesn't have that glowing illuminated pool look.
  • All the other colors look great. Deep saturated colors, and enough brightness to give the pool that glowing illuminated pool look without being too bright.
  • I have run it for several hours a few nights in a row, and never experienced the dimming issue noted in the Amazon reviews.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this bulb. For about half the price of the ColorSplash 3G (which is probably the closest competitor to this bulb) it is absolutely worth it.

BTW, I tried to take some video last night, but my iPhone couldn't do it justice. I will try to take some shots with my SLR and a tripod, and will post them soon.

I thought it would be worthwhile to post a follow up review. I haven't seen any chatter regarding this bulb, which surprises me since we TFP-ers pride ourselves on finding the bargain pool supplies.

I am now past the three year mark and it still works perfectly; even after the fixture flooded two years ago (and flooded with salt water no less). The price is actually $35 cheaper than it was when I purchased.

I am in no way affiliated with this company, but I feel compelled to spread the word.

I hadn't been on TFP for a while, but have come back recently to research pool re-plastering (acid washed yesterday and refilling right now) and was looking back at some of my old posts.
Came across this thread I started in 2016 and am happy to report that the PoolBright bulb is still going strong after almost 9 years.
They still sell them and the price has dropped to under $100.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.