Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Started First ABG pool project!

1. Back To Top    #1

Started First ABG pool project!

I guess registering and posting makes it official! We are prepping to install our first above ground pool. This originally started off with the idea of a "little Wal-Mart ABG" and after research has turned into a full fledged project. With a family of 9 and at least 7 of the 9 will probably use daily we quickly realized bigger will be better over the long run. Right? Factor in friends and family and lot's of bather potential. Anyway, we are looking at a 33' round Sharkline Matrix. Still working out details of pump and filter but looking at Hayward sand filter. Will continue working out equipment details over next couple of days.

The kids have been gung ho since we first let them know the plan and they started clearing the proposed pool site of a gravel bed that had been there prior to us owning home. They worked hard and removed it all.... and then... we realized that spot won't work as the power supply to the house runs under the ground there. They took the news well. So we found a new spot with no above or below ground power lines but one sagging, ugly old chain link fence that has been needing to come down in the way. So, let the kids know the fence has to be removed and they might as well take the whole fence down while they're at it. Came back about 30 minutes later and boy was I impressed with what they had done!! Talk about teamwork! They had gathered tools and begun work.... they had each taken over some task that they were in charge of and were working hard... 6 kids ages 5, 6, 7, 9, 11 and 13. They were told to take down the fence and leave the posts for daddy to take down later... they don't need daddy... look up and 9 year old daughter is digging posts out with shovel and then 5 and 7 year old sons jump in and the 3 of them pull the post out... these posts are concreted in and my little ones are beasting them out. Yes I am bursting with pride at how hard and smart the 6 of them are working. I just sat in a chair and took pics of them working. They took the fence chain down and one of them had thought to cut it into smaller sections and then roll it and throw it in the back of the truck. My 6 year old daughter was cutting chain link with bolt cutters. I guess they have been paying attention when their daddy and I work after all... who knew?!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Started First ABG pool project!

Congratulations on your new pool build! We are a larger family and after having the 18ft intex we ordered and will start our new build in a few weeks. It's amazing what you can get them to do when you say new pool! We chose the Intex 16x32x54 for our build and I am as nervous as I am excited. We have the Intex 2650 1 hp sand pump and SWG currently and are staying with that on the new pool and plan to add a Hayward Skimmer to the new build. Look forward to watching your build.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply! Do you know how to add pics?
    33' Round Sharkline Matrix

4. Back To Top    #4

No, it's been so long since I posted on a forum I could'nt tell you. I am sure someone will jump in and help us both.
    Tammy & Jim
    Kids, 22,19,18,14,14,14,&8
    Currently 18Ft Intex, Soon to Install new 16x32x52, Intex 2650 Sand Filter, SWG, Hayward Skimmer.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TheMomster View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Do you know how to add pics?
    You can attach them using the forum tools in the "go advanced"...but I find it a little janky.

I and many other posters, myself included, use photobucket or some other pic hosting site.

You can go to http://s155.photobucket.com/ and sign up for a free account and upload your pics to there and then post the pics via links to the pics. The nice thing about photobucket is they have iphone/android apps that allow you to upload the pics you take on your phone straight to photobucket then you can post them.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 X 48" AG (6,420 Gallons), Intex 16" .95HP Sand Filter SWG System (2650 GPH), Hayward thru wall Skimmer, Hard plumbed with fountain, Taylor K-2006/SpeedStir/SampleSizer

6. Back To Top    #6

I found that most of the Pool Servicing companies are not willing to maintain AGP, anything special with regular maintenance of AGPs?
    Thanks.
    NUbee!
    Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Gallons? Unknown. Medium sized pool.
    Filter? I think cartidge. Big beer can looking device with pressure valve on top running around 30 PSI
    Inground plaster pool.
    Spa above spills into pool. Waterslide above Spa spills into pool.
    Heater: Purex Triton MiniMax
    Vacuum: Hayward Navigator
    Pool guy does regular water maintenance.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think you will be happy going with the larger size! We just put up a 28ft round and after my 3 boys got in, I thought "should have gone bigger!".
    28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
    I think you will be happy going with the larger size! We just put up a 28ft round and after my 3 boys got in, I thought "should have gone bigger!".
    And do you maintain this by yourself or do you have a pool company managing your pool weekly?
    NUbee!
    Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Gallons? Unknown. Medium sized pool.
    Filter? I think cartidge. Big beer can looking device with pressure valve on top running around 30 PSI
    Inground plaster pool.
    Spa above spills into pool. Waterslide above Spa spills into pool.
    Heater: Purex Triton MiniMax
    Vacuum: Hayward Navigator
    Pool guy does regular water maintenance.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome Momster! The kids sound like they are ready for the pool! A 33' pool is a very nice size pool. You will never regret going as big as you can if you have the room. If I could have gotten away with a bigger pool, I would have. As far as pics go, if you're on the phone, you can download tapatalk and add pics that way or if you're using a computer, I save all my pics and upload them with postimage.org. It's really simple.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    And do you maintain this by yourself or do you have a pool company managing your pool weekly?
    MDP, Most of us maintain our own water here at TFP. It is very rare that a member has a Pool Service running the pool but it does happen.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I love taking care of the pool... Its very relaxing, and satisfying creating a pool with sparklypoolitus.....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    I love taking care of the pool... Its very relaxing, and satisfying creating a pool with sparklypoolitus.....
    I would have to concur. I find myself just going out there and looking at it lol I walk the perimeter checking and double checking everything, listen to the hum of the pump, and checking the chemical levels. Very relaxing!
    18'x48" Intex Ultra-Frame (Grey), Intex 2150gph Sand Filter (#28647EG), Intex Krystal Clear SWCG (#54601EG), Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim, Intex LED Light.