Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae, Very High pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae, Very High pH

I am trying to clear my algae problem but from the instructions here at TFP I have to get my pH in range (7.2-7.6) I am currently at least at 8.2

I get 8.2+ from the Taylor Kit and 8.4+ from strips

However using Sodium Bisulfate doesn't seem to be doing the trick. One of the problems being I can only run my filter about 5 minutes before I need to regenerate. I've backflushed and cleaned, but then I only see a slight improvement (9 minutes) for a free cycles.

What I am I doing wrong here?

My hardness is 100
    1) The size of your pool in gallons: 1
    2) The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge): DE
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground): Above Ground
    4) If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass: Vinyl
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter: ???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae, Very High pH

Welcome to TFP!

Set your filter to recirculate so you can keep the water moving to kill the algae.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Sodium Bisulfate is "dry acid". Since you are maxing out your pH test it may actually be much higher 8.2

Use PoolMath to determine how much dry acid to add to get to your goal. Make sure you enter all your "now" values including Size, TA, and Borate (if any) as pH changes are affected by these parameters.

Dry acid should be dissolved in a bucket prior to adding to the pool.

Retest 1/2 hour after adding, and if you didn't reach you goal go back to PoolMath again with your new "now" value. Eventually it will come back into range.

By the way, it is OK to use dry acid occasionally, but we don't recommend using regularly since sulfates will build up (plus it is expensive). The standard pH down used on TFPC is Muriatic Acid (MA), which can be purchased in any hardware or pool store. 31.45% strength (20 degree baume) is preferred. Lower strength will work, but is typically more expensive. If you use MA, make sure you set the the correct strength in PoolMath.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

When you say "regenerate" your filter, do you mean bumping the handle, or a full-on backwash and refill with Diatomaceous Earth? There is a limit to home many times you can bump a filter before you have to replace the DE.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

By recirculated do you mean run without DE

I bump with old DE and then after awhile have replaced DE

5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter: ???

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cparker5 View Post

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    No. If you have a multiport valve, recirculate bypasses the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Some filters have a multiport valve that allows you to run the water through the filter one way, backwards to backflush out the drain line, or just bypass the filter completely. With a bump-type DE filter, it's really unlikely you even have a simple backwash valve, let alone a multiport. So ignore that. You'd have seen the dial with the recirculate setting.

If the filter loads up in 5 minutes time after time, it's probably time to change the DE. The powder actually looks like microscopic sponges, and after a while, the little holes get plugged with crud.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

When I change the DE it looks like greem slime.

But when I replace the DE it only lasts 7-8 minutes between bumps. How am I supposed to bring the pH down if I'm bumping and replacing DE so often?

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe put a nylon stocking or something over the skimmer basket to catch some of the algae before it gets into your filter ? You'll need to clean the stocking frequently as well but everything should last longer between cleanings.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

When I change the DE it looks like greem slime.

But when I replace the DE it only lasts 7-8 minutes between bumps. How am I supposed to bring the pH down if I'm bumping and replacing DE so often?

That's kind of a "problem" with DE filters. They are so good at filtering that they can make it hard to keep up with them while clearing algae. Have you cleaned the grids in the filter? Might be that the spaces are clogged or they are caked with DE and your filter area is greatly reduced.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

No I have not? What's the best way to clean the grid? Power washer?

12. Back To Top    #12

No I have not? What's the best way to clean the grid? Power washer?

No. Much too fragile. Sometimes just a soft brush and a hose. Sometimes they require soaking. See your manual to be sure.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Do the bump-style filters even have grids? I thought they were fingers? It would help to know what model filter it is.

And on closer reading, I think I'd just drain the pool, since it's only 1 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

It is a Hayward perflex and I think those are fingers.

15. Back To Top    #15

It is a Hayward perflex and I think those are fingers.

I looked at the manual for that. It looks like a pain to disassemble to scrub those fingers off. Good luck.

16. Back To Top    #16

I added 14oz of MA but my DE filter needs regenerating every 10 minutes, thus getting the MA mixed is taking forever.

If I remove DE and just let the filter run to mix the water to solve the pH issue before moving on to the algae would that work?

17. Back To Top    #17

I added 14oz of MA but my DE filter needs regenerating every 10 minutes, thus getting the MA mixed is taking forever.

If I remove DE and just let the filter run to mix the water to solve the pH issue before moving on to the algae would that work?

No. It will clog your filter.

I think your filter may already have issues and needs to be disassembled.
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok thank you!

19. Back To Top    #19

That is the bad thing about de filters. They are great at filtering. It will take some work but what you can do is bypass the filter. You will need some above ground pool flex hose to reach from the pump to the pool. Disconnect the union between the pump and filter. Install a male adapter to hose in the pump output side. Run that back to the pool. When the algae is dead move the hose out in the yard to vac to waste.

17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

20. Back To Top    #20

The strips show my pH has come down to about 7.8 but Taylor still shows 8.2+

Might just try to just kill some of this algae first.

My CYA is about 50, but this test is funny as it relies on my sight and obviously there is some other problems doing this test while there is so much algae in the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast