Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward skimmer weir question?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward skimmer weir question?

Have Hayward P1084 skimmers and am having problem with the "weirs" (the little doors). (These were installed by a pool renovator who replaced my original Anthony Sylvan "round" skimmers as part of putting seamless concrete to the edge of the pool and replacing original coping; that led to tiles falling off and having A&S redoing tiles around pool. By best guess is for some reason the tile guy took the weirs out of the skimmers and didn't put back properly. That is just a guess).

The problem is both weirs are loose and end up floating in the skimmer or the pool. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them back in place! On one skimmer, a pin on the skimmer is actually snapped off and the other weir the little "sleeve" that wraps around the pin is broken. The guy that opens my pool cannot figure how to get the doors in; at the local pool store I bought a new weir for the broken one and she said you somehow have to "maneuver them in to place". From what I can see the only way to connect them properly is from the outside and once you do, you cannot get the weir door inside the skimmer (there is a "peg" attached on top of the skimmer I assume that is designed to keep the door inside the skimmer; therefore I cannot get the door outside to go inside!?!). If I try to attach the weir door by going inside the skimmer and try to attach to the pins outside, you cannot connect them!

I apologize if stupid, but is there a way to do this that I cannot figure out? Or do I need to get whole new skimmers put in that have the weir doors in place?

Thx anyone!!
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward skimmer weir question?

The door usually goes thru the opening in the deck and then into place. Usually you can't fit it thru the pool side opening. There is a tab on the inside of the skimmer to prevent the door from flapping out into the pool.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

That may be one of the ones where you have to remove the whole hinge plate, typically screws along the bottom accessed from inside the skimmer, mount the new weir to the hinge plate and then reinstall the assembly into the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A photo is worth a thousand words.... a few photos might help us help you. I recently replaced skimmers for my A&S installed Hayward skimmers. I couldn't find a weir that would fit, so I altered a universal weir that stays in place via a spring loaded pin. I cut the oversized weir using a hack saw and trimmed the spring on the spring loaded pin. I'm a middle-aged female with few tools and it took me 15 minutes. I paid pool store prices for the weir (about $15).

No screws and didn't matter if anything on the skimmer throat was damaged. I had to take off my skimmer collar to get mine to fit through the skimmer opening.

This is similar to what I used:
    http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07...tm#description
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That may be one of the ones where you have to remove the whole hinge plate, typically screws along the bottom accessed from inside the skimmer, mount the new weir to the hinge plate and then reinstall the assembly into the skimmer.
    This seems like its the only way if possible. ,This model has the old permanent pins in the "hinge plate". For this model skimmer would I be able to get instructions on how to do this?

- - - Updated - - -

I may have to ultimately try something like this; however, I was told by the pool store that the spring loaded ones wouldn't hold because there is no place for the springs to go -- make sense? This old skimmer model has permanent pins in place...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    The door usually goes thru the opening in the deck and then into place. Usually you can't fit it thru the pool side opening. There is a tab on the inside of the skimmer to prevent the door from flapping out into the pool.
    Correct, which is why I cannot figure out how to put in. What you called a "tab" I had called a "peg" -- no way to get door past it!
    33,000 gals, DE, IG, plaster, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter, Pentair Super Flo 2hp, Pentair MinMax Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Anyone have thoughts about replacing the hinge plate as an option? Am I missing something obvious?

7. Back To Top    #7

OK..spent some time on this, including with Hayward on the phone...I have a skimmer with permanently mounted "pins" on the skimmer walls. I t appears there is no way to maneuver the door into place under this old setup. Hayward is checking around and supposed to call me back, but what is interesting, one of the pins has broken off and there is a little "hole" where the pins is. Perhaps a spring loaded replacement door would work IF I break off the other "pin" and there is a similar hole there? Anyone know what I am talking about and can comment?

Lastly, a pool repair guy said to put in a floating weir/basket into the existing skimmer basket area and forget the doors! Anyone familiar with this set up and whether it works?

I am amazed that something as simple as a weir door is so difficult to "fix" -- please help if you can!!

Thx...

8. Back To Top    #8

Update!! And hope this helps others!

I ultimately found out that my skimmer is a Pentair S20 Admiral with the weir doors attached to permanently mounted pins in the side walls. There is no way to properly put a replacement weir door into that design; however the A&S pool guy who gave me the skimmer info from my 1999 records, said try to put the door in backwards and although not perfect it will work for the most part. Did that (duh!!) and it worked! Unfortunately, someone knocked off one of the permanent mounting pins on the other skimmer so am going to try a circular floating weir design in that skimmer. I will then see which works best and go from there...whew!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by perilous View Post
    Update!! And hope this helps others!

I ultimately found out that my skimmer is a Pentair S20 Admiral with the weir doors attached to permanently mounted pins in the side walls. There is no way to properly put a replacement weir door into that design; however the A&S pool guy who gave me the skimmer info from my 1999 records, said try to put the door in backwards and although not perfect it will work for the most part. Did that (duh!!) and it worked! Unfortunately, someone knocked off one of the permanent mounting pins on the other skimmer so am going to try a circular floating weir design in that skimmer. I will then see which works best and go from there...whew!!
    Hi.

I had the same exact issue. It amazes me that they would design it so that it is impossible to properly put a new door on!

But I did take your advice and I put the door on backwards - I am amazed to see that it actually works better!
    1) The current going into the skimmer is stronger because the door does not sit as flat
    2) There is a lower risk of the door flipping outwards past the pin since the flat end hits the pin first instead of the curved end.

-It almost makes me believe that whomever put the door on originally, might have put it on backwards. I am thinking of breaking off the door of the other skimmer and putting in a replacement door in the backwards position!

Thanks again!
    Juggernaut

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Hi.

I had the same exact issue. It amazes me that they would design it so that it is impossible to properly put a new door on!

But I did take your advice and I put the door on backwards - I am amazed to see that it actually works better!
    1) The current going into the skimmer is stronger because the door does not sit as flat
    2) There is a lower risk of the door flipping outwards past the pin since the flat end hits the pin first instead of the curved end.

-It almost makes me believe that whomever put the door on originally, might have put it on backwards. I am thinking of breaking off the door of the other skimmer and putting in a replacement door in the backwards position!

Thanks again!
    Juggernaut
    Welcome!

Great first post. I'm delighted that people can find their answers using the search feature!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

How does the factory get the door in? It seems like they would have the same problem.

By the way, you saved me tons of hassle. I'm going to order the floating weir.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.