Pentair Compool lx 3400 issues

Have remote spa controls and cp3400 inside house controls...

Last summer, heat boost button at remote spa stopped working but worked inside the house; other remote spa buttons fine -- spa, lights and jets. Then jet button stopped working too at very end of season, but worked from inside house.

This year same issue, (plus once the pool was opened, the heater stopped working also from everywhere). So started to pursue a "fix" for the remote issue (thinking pool heater may be separate issue). Thinking the remote spa control or the lines to panel may be bad, I asked the tech who opened my pool to connect another remote control to the panel (believe it or not I had another brand new remote control button and cable in a box in my garage) to try to localize the problem. He tried it and told me the same buttons still didn't work, therefore a panel issue? He reconnected the existing remote control. Once I got home, whatever he did, now the spa button doesn't work on the spa remote, so now only the Lights button works!! Everything works from inside the house though!!

He also believes the heater problem is a control panel issue also; however, whatever he did, I cannot even get the heater panel to light up properly with the red service light anymore unless I switch to "spa". Usually, it was set up as "pool". Now that setting doesn't register so is it possible he wired it back differently?

So first, assuming I get an authorized repair person out here to look at, any thoughts as to what may be happening? As a "lay person", is there an easy fix for the spa remote panel connection vs. the "whole panel" needs to be replaced? Just want to be informed before the "repair" person shows up and says "you need a whole new system"!

Secondly, is it possible that the panel is causing my heater issue? Or is it more likely something is happening with the electronics within the heater itself coincidentally starting this year?

Lastly, if the forum thinks costly repairs are needed to fix this, should I consider the Easy upgrade at this point vs. repairing my 15 year old Compool system?

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated...thx!

Honestly you should look at the Easytouch upgrade. That system is old enough that you are "just" starting to have issues and it would be a worth while investment to do the upgrade. When you do the upgrade I would go with a wireless remote as well. You won't be disappointed. I also hate to tell you but you could also be getting to the end of the life for that heater.

As for the heater, you can usually take it out of remote mode and control it via the heaters control. Easiest way to test to see what's causing the issues.

OK...is it the straightforward Easytouch upgrade with transformer kit? Then get jut one wireless remote or should I get wireless, plus the inside wall controller to replace the old one? If wireless is for real, that should be all I really need, right (meaning one wireless, no on wall)?

Secondly, it looks like I can purchase all of this at Amazon and then hope to find someone to do the "install"?

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly you should look at the Easytouch upgrade. That system is old enough that you are "just" starting to have issues and it would be a worth while investment to do the upgrade. When you do the upgrade I would go with a wireless remote as well. You won't be disappointed. I also hate to tell you but you could also be getting to the end of the life for that heater.

As for the heater, you can usually take it out of remote mode and control it via the heaters control. Easiest way to test to see what's causing the issues.

Regarding the heater...somehow even in "Service" mode, the heater won't fire up now. It did when first opened a couple of weeks ago, but next time I tried the spa it wouldn't work...

PLEASE HELP!!!

I am original thread starter...am pursuing swapping out the Compool 3400...first option is the previously recommended Pentair Easy Touch upgrade...do I need the conversion kit PLUS the transformer? Also, will my existing spa side remote and indoor remote (both Compool hard wired) plug in? Or do I need new remotes?

Lastly, the guy that works on my pool equipment says NOT to use the Pentair Easy Touch upgrade "installed a few last year and people are not happy..." he says, instead do a Jandy PDA/PS6 system and "you will be much happier in the long run"; by the way, that option will cost me $3200!!

Thx for help!!

If you haven't already looked at Pentair's web site, look at this link. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/automation-compool-to-easytouch-upgrade-416.htm

According to Pentair, if you have the CP3400, you do NOT need the transformer upgrade package. You will see on the link I attached it shows an * next to the ones that need the transformer. As for the spa side wired remote, if is the IS4, it should work with it.

As for the pool guys words of wisdom, well I have yet to find a customer that didn't like it. But like anything, it's new and different so there might be a learning curve. Why spend $3200 when you can upgrade for $600 total or less if you do it all yourself.

If you haven't already looked at Pentair's web site, look at this link. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/automation-compool-to-easytouch-upgrade-416.htm

According to Pentair, if you have the CP3400, you do NOT need the transformer upgrade package. You will see on the link I attached it shows an * next to the ones that need the transformer. As for the spa side wired remote, if is the IS4, it should work with it.

As for the pool guys words of wisdom, well I have yet to find a customer that didn't like it. But like anything, it's new and different so there might be a learning curve. Why spend $3200 when you can upgrade for $600 total or less if you do it all yourself.

Thx!! I see the link and your tip! Not sure about wired controller inside but will call Pentair and find out...

Hello perilous. I just completed the Easy Touch upgrade from my super ancient Compool LX10/timemaster. This system was about 10 years older than yours with no replacement parts available. My upgrade required the transformer, but yours would not. As part of my upgrade, I also got the ScreenLogic and wireless interface kit which eliminated the need for any other wired/wireless remotes. You can use your PC, Mac Iphone/Ipad or Android phone/tables to control your system. The upgrade is very easy to do. The two pin relay connectors and 3 pin valve connectors go right into the new motherboard. Your transformer also plugs right in. The other connectors are all screw terminals, so no problem there. The part that took me the longest was fabricating a new mounting bracket for the odd location I chose for the wireless transmitter. Everything worked right off the bat, no problems at all.

I purchased by system from Sunplay.com after much reasearch on pricing. The Pentair part numbers you would want are 521107 ($370) and 522104 (also $370). The second part number is for a bundle of the Screenlogic protocol adapter and the wireless interface kit. Strange thing is the wireless kit is only $10 more that just the Screenlogic without the interface kit.

Please research this for yourself, but I think you will be more than happy with the Pentair Easy Touch upgrade solution.

Thx Gary....I am convinced this is the way to go....Pentair confirmed all I need is the Easytouch without the transformer kit and it also work with existing wired spaside remote, but will NOT work with my existing indoor controller. So if I get that controller then good to go...much cheaper than a whole new automation system!!

Am curious about the Screen Logic option (Pentair confirmed it would work with Compool/Easytouch conversion)...r u happy with that option? (Am reading people are having issues with it...)

Thx everyone for helping me out!!!

Thx Gary....I am convinced this is the way to go....Pentair confirmed all I need is the Easytouch without the transformer kit and it also work with existing wired spaside remote, but will NOT work with my existing indoor controller. So if I get that controller then good to go...much cheaper than a whole new automation system!!

Am curious about the Screen Logic option (Pentair confirmed it would work with Compool/Easytouch conversion)...r u happy with that option? (Am reading people are having issues with it...)

Thx everyone for helping me out!!!

I have had zero issues with either the Easy Touch upgrade or the Screen Logic interface, both work as described. Since I purchased both items at the same time, they both had the latest firware. Also, my wireless transmitter is only about 7 feet from the receiver, separated by a wall. I could have hard wired the Easy Touch to the protocol adapter, but for only a $10.00 price increase I did not want to drill a hole through my wall.

With the Screen Logic, I use a Windows 7 PC and two Android tablets. I have no Apple equipment so I cannot comment on that. The really nice thing about the upgrade is that you do not have to mess with any power connections or wiring since you are using the same Compool enclosure and just replacing the left hand panel which contains the new motherboard. I did add another power relay so that I could separate my pool and spa lights. The Easy Touch can control these independently so that I can have just my pool light on, or spa light on or both on. This is very nice if you have colored lights such as intellibrite. You made a good choice.

I am convinced this is the way to go....Pentair confirmed all I need is the Easytouch without the transformer kit and it also work with existing wired spaside remote, but will NOT work with my existing indoor controller.

Just joined the forum, and am getting immediate benefit for something I've been struggling with for a bit!

Perilous, I was curious if you've performed the EasyTouch upgrade? I'm in a similar boat, when my indoor 13 year old CP3400 panel went dark after a really close lightning strike during a storm. Looked at the LX3400 motherboard, and yep, there was a fried resistor right next to the jack that the CP3400 plugs into. Oddly, the existing pool schedule continued to cycle the pool every day. So began my quest for new gear...

I had spoken to Pentair some time back about the ET upgrade out of curiosity, because I was toying with the thought of iPad control, so that's what I started looking into when this happened. I ordered both the indoor control and ET upgrade kit with transformer from Amazon, due largely to their return guarantee (I've read horror stories of pool supply companies and Pentair being notorious for not honoring warranties, or accepting returns). Got the indoor control, but the upgrade panel has been on backorder since I ordered at the end of May; today I got notice that it's not expected until September..! So back to the drawing board I went, and a Google search landed me here... And I discovered that I don't need the upgrade kit with transformer after all - the ET upgrade kit w/o transformer will be here Friday!

Thanks, Gary and Perilous!!!

I have had zero issues with either the Easy Touch upgrade or the Screen Logic interface, both work as described.

Gary, I was curious about the ScreenLogic system... You say you use a Windows PC - is the PC required to be on for this to work? My impression was the interface operated off the home WiFi, and the app interacted directly with the EasyTouch gear. So if you're out of town and want to access your pool remotely to check temperature, let's say, the PC back home needs to be on?

Thanks again to both you guys!

-DBB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 12-yr old cp3400 control system and just got an err4 message. based on this thread it seems I should consider just jumping straight to replacing the inside control panel and outside box.

Is the easy touch upgrade as easy as you made it sound?

Error 4 is a communication cable problem. Check your cable that runs from the LX unit outside (probably a flat type wire) to your control panel inside the house.

Any digging recently in the yard? Rats/mice like to sometimes chew on the cable. Even seen where a weed wacker cut the line.

Just joined the forum, and am getting immediate benefit for something I've been struggling with for a bit!

Perilous, I was curious if you've performed the EasyTouch upgrade? I'm in a similar boat, when my indoor 13 year old CP3400 panel went dark after a really close lightning strike during a storm. Looked at the LX3400 motherboard, and yep, there was a fried resistor right next to the jack that the CP3400 plugs into. Oddly, the existing pool schedule continued to cycle the pool every day. So began my quest for new gear...

I had spoken to Pentair some time back about the ET upgrade out of curiosity, because I was toying with the thought of iPad control, so that's what I started looking into when this happened. I ordered both the indoor control and ET upgrade kit with transformer from Amazon, due largely to their return guarantee (I've read horror stories of pool supply companies and Pentair being notorious for not honoring warranties, or accepting returns). Got the indoor control, but the upgrade panel has been on backorder since I ordered at the end of May; today I got notice that it's not expected until September..! So back to the drawing board I went, and a Google search landed me here... And I discovered that I don't need the upgrade kit with transformer after all - the ET upgrade kit w/o transformer will be here Friday!

Thanks, Gary and Perilous!!!

Gary, I was curious about the ScreenLogic system... You say you use a Windows PC - is the PC required to be on for this to work? My impression was the interface operated off the home WiFi, and the app interacted directly with the EasyTouch gear. So if you're out of town and want to access your pool remotely to check temperature, let's say, the PC back home needs to be on?

Thanks again to both you guys!

-DBB

The PC does not have to be on to access Screen Logic from a remote location. The Screen Logic app initial screen has a selection for either LOCAL or REMOTE access. I was able to access my system from a WI-FI hotel hot spot in Mexico each day of my vacation to check on the health of my system. I do not know for sure how it works, but I have read that when you do a remote connection, you are actually going through Pentair servers which then connect to your Screen Logic through your router. Good luck on your Easy Touch install and please ask here if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.