Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test idea

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test idea

Any thoughts on this? I have a lot of trouble with the CYA test, do I see the dot, or not. I get good results with a slight modification:

Prepare the test solution as usual, but before putting the drops of the mix into the tube, place the tube on the taylor stirrer with the light switched on, but no stirbar. In a semi-dark room (my kitchen with the lights off and the shade drawn works for me) continue the test as usual, looking straight down the tube from close range. As you get close, move the tube very slightly side to side if you are unsure when the dot disappears.
    21' x 41' vinyl in ground pool, 26500 gal. 1 hp Hayward pump, 4 wheel suction side The Pool Cleaner, Hayward EC-75 DE filter, Hayward SUMXL 140 heat pump, TF100 test kit with stirrer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA test idea

Nope ... having the light under the tube will make the test read way too low I think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I do it as suggested, back to the sun. The first run I do by filling to each line and looking to see if the dot remains. Then I do a second run adding drops slowly until I get to the disappearing point. If that is the same, I stop, if not I do both again after returning the mix to the squirt bottle.

Just did my June "Full Test" of all parameters. Found my CYA at a low 30 where only 3 weeks ago it was 45 due to vacation use of tablets. Eyeing another vacation..... so hard to waste that "20 ppm window" of CYA opportunity!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had a hard time with this test in the beginning. I am sure you have seen those optical illusions where you stare at a dot on a piece of paper and when you look away you still see the dot. I do my test as outlined in the instructions here but I don't stare at the dot, I look at the white area surrounding it. It seems to make it easier to determine when the dot is no longer visible.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

"Found my CYA at a low 30 where only 3 weeks ago it was 45 due to vacation use of tablets." Did you drain your pool?
    TF-100 Test Kit. 25 year old plaster in ground, 16,600 gallons pool & spa, sand filter, the worlds oldest Jet Vac pool cleaner. Pool is surrounded and covered be large live oak trees.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Alan762 View Post
    "Found my CYA at a low 30 where only 3 weeks ago it was 45 due to vacation use of tablets." Did you drain your pool?
    Two possibilities. First we have had a lot of rain. I left a bucket outside recently and found a foot of water in it, and mosquitoes. The pool had been draining through the overflow, so essentially yes it was drained.

Plus I took the sample when the pool was not running. Silly me, I had noted a bit of excessive chlorine usage and assumed lack of brushing had let some algae start when FC was so low. But that sort of drop is right for lowered CYA level. Of course I was out of liquid chlorine so I used some cal-hypo as CH could be higher.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.