Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking plaster spa...Is it okay to leave empty?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking plaster spa...Is it okay to leave empty?

Hi everybody,

I'm a new pool owner, but the pool is not new. We just bought a house in January with the pool that is described in my signature. I registered at TFP and a few months ago and have spent many hours trying to learn the basics. Both sites have been a tremendous help. "Thank you" to everyone who contributes!

Unfortunately, I discovered the spa leaking last week. It's probably not important, but there are a few things that make me suspect it's an old leak that was temporarily fixed with one of those pour-in stop leak products. Regardless, we have a leak detection company coming out next week to try and pinpoint the source and we'll go from there.

My questions is, can I let the spa drain (via the leak) and leave it mostly dry while we diagnose and repair? I'm losing several inches a day, and water is pretty expensive in my locale, but I don't want to pay more for any damages caused by letting it sit dry than I would pay for the extra water to keep it full. The spa continues leaking until the water level is lower than the jets, then it seems to go to the regular evaporation rate, so I could keep some water in it without any abnormal water costs.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance that can be given.

- Eric
    IG 22,500 gallon plaster pool (35' x 16' x 7') with spill-over spa (6'), circa 2004
    2HP WhisperFlo pump w/Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    3/4HP WhisperFlo for two sheer arc waterfalls
    Suction-side Poolvernuegen
    Eric in Brentwood, California

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Leaking plaster spa...Is it okay to leave empty?

If the plaster is otherwise in good condition it shouldn't hurt to have the water level in the spa low.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!