Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-0870 - Only 1 scoop?

1. Back To Top    #1

R-0870 - Only 1 scoop?

Long time reader. First time poster. I finally severed my pool from the death spiral of Leslies this year. I am using liquid bleach instead of those darn stabilized pucks and my pool has never looked better. I had to re-up on my chlorine test reagents and was just reading the reviews on amazon. This is what one of the reviewers said:

" DID YOU KNOW?

The instruction pamphlet that comes with Taylor's testing kits say to use TWO scoops of this DPD powder, but if your test water sample turns pink after adding just ONE scoop of this reagent, you don't need to add a second scoop? As long as the water turns pink after adding the first scoop of powder, the testing procedure is unaffected by not adding a second scoop. What that means to you is that you can test your water for twice as many times now before you have to buy a replacement reagent bottle.

And that saves you money!!! "

I have yet to prove this to myself, but I would like to know if anyone has used this method with success? My water sample always changes to pink after the first scoop, but I have always added a second scoop, because that is what the directions I have say to do.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: R-0870 - Only 1 scoop?

Yup, I seldom use two scoops. Generally with my freestanding spa and there is no color change with one scoop (meaning no chlorine. )
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF-100 Kit, that many of us use, includes the R870, and the instruction to use one heaping scoop. You should be just fine.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

FWIW, when I first started using the little scoop that came with my kit I assumed the handle (looks like a small paddle) was the scoop. It never occurred to me that the tiny little scoop end could put enough powder into the sample to matter. Heck, I didn't even notice it was a scoop until I saw a picture in a thread. So I was probably adding several times the amount of the DPD powder than I should have been adding.

When I found out I was using the wrong end of the scoop and started using the correct end, my results did not change. So, for me, adding way, way too much of the powder did not affect the results. I think it's been said here before that you want to add enough of the powder to change the sample to pink. That's always one scoop for me.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You can not use too much powder, but too little can cause issues. If you are in maintenance mode (FC < 10ppm), then one scoop should be fine if you get a nice pink color. If you are SLAMing with high FC levels, that is when you likely want to use 2 scoops to ensure you have enough powder, again look for a nice pink ... too light or a flash of pink and you need more powder.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

We know, my guess is that 1 level scoop may be not enough some of the time, and the people that write the instructions at Taylor think saying one heaping scoop sounds unprofessional so they say 2 scoops instead.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies. This forum is a blessing. My pool would not be crystal clear without the wealth of information I have read here.

13000 Gal IG Plaster Pool and Spa - 320 Sq ft Fafco Solar Hot Water Array - Hayward SP2302VSP Main Pump - Hayward/Leslie's 48 Sq ft DE Filter - Hayward 400,000 BTU NG Heater - Some old school spa pump - Polaris 280 Sweep powered by a Pentair Pump - Liquid Chlorine using TFP Method

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad to here the forum has helped you ... consider Becoming a TFP Supporter to keep the forum running ... you will note that we do not bring any money in from ads all over the place like most other forums.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I heap my one scoop like a slob and love it.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

With the size of the scoop I'm thinking that one heaping scoop is equivalent to two level scoops.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

11. Back To Top    #11

I've measured several times. One heaping scoop averages about the same as two level scoops, but has more variation in quantity from "heap" to "heap"
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I heap my one scoop like a slob and love it.
    I'm not the only one!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter